Reasons I am getting a new muffler
Close
    
    
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member elime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,955
    My friend Big D (NorCal guys know him) tried to talk me into getting a DG slip on muffler but to many negative reports and I got a good price on a used stock one in great shape.























    Long live the internal combustion engine!

  2. #2
    Senior Member r80rt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,431
    Looks like you got all the good out of that muffler, going back with a stock one is a wise choice.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

  3. #3
    Senior Member old mad max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gobles, michigan
    Posts
    1,824
    Good coat of wax will fix that right up..................... (o;. Glad you found a replacement. OMM.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member Joemama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lake County, Ca.
    Posts
    1,241
    Big D. Now that there is funny right there!

  6. #5
    Member craigerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    54
    I got a DG last year and haven't heard or had any problems with it. Out of curiosity, what bad things did you hear about it?

  7. #6
    Senior Member elime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,955
    Quote Originally Posted by craigerk View Post
    I got a DG last year and haven't heard or had any problems with it. Out of curiosity, what bad things did you hear about it?


    I read on other forums they are to loud and that they need to be repacked soon after installed. These were mufflers used on other than TW's. Bad news travels fast so I am sure it is the guys that got bad ones bitched the most. Also the stock muffler I scored was considerably less in price and that influenced my decision.



    BTW, did you notice an increase in performance and or gas mileage? Did you have to re jet the carb?
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

  8. #7
    Member craigerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I read on other forums they are to loud and that they need to be repacked soon after installed. These were mufflers used on other than TW's. Bad news travels fast so I am sure it is the guys that got bad ones bitched the most. Also the stock muffler I scored was considerably less in price and that influenced my decision.



    BTW, did you notice an increase in performance and or gas mileage? Did you have to re jet the carb?


    It's not too loud to me, but it beig 'too loud' seems to be a back and forth disagreement throughout the forum. But I've Always been around loud bikes, atvs, cars, trucks etc so I might just be used I it anyway haha. Mid range seemed better to me according to my butt dyno. At the same time I did a hollow mod and put a small cone filter on my intake and changed out my chain and sprocket to a 14-42 setup. I didn't rejet because I've read a few posts saying they are jetted rich from the factory and don't NEED to be jetted but a lot of people do. I actually juts ordered a few jets to play around with though. I did all the above mods (minus the jets of course) over a year ago.

  9. #8
    Senior Member elime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,955
    Quote Originally Posted by craigerk View Post
    Mid range seemed better to me according to my butt dyno.


    With the end cap off, top photo, I too felt a little better performance going up some hills -- I made it in 5fth gear where as before I needed 4th a couple of times. Gas mileage remained the same.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

  10. #9
    Member craigerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    With the end cap off, top photo, I too felt a little better performance going up some hills -- I made it in 5fth gear where as before I needed 4th a couple of times. Gas mileage remained the same.


    Same with me, didn't see a difference in gas mileage.

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: stock muffler for an '04 (NY)
    By 98940 in forum TW200 Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 09:48 PM
  2. WTB Muffler
    By Gokeeper in forum TW200 Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 09:46 AM
  3. Muffler and carb
    By DesertRat in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 07:07 PM
  4. Do I need a new muffler?
    By thal13 in forum Technical Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 12:22 PM
  5. WTB - Muffler - need ASAP
    By Rohnsman in forum TW200 Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Search tags for this page

reasons to get a new muffler

Click on a term to search for related topics.