Re Ringing
Close

Thread: Re Ringing

Somebody that had my parts bike before me took it all apart. Rather than installing new o-rings and gaskets he used RTV. I have a feeling he re used the rings and only lightly honed the cylinder when he put it all back together.

Flash forward and it becomes mine and I decided to stop the oil leaks. In the process, since it is going to be apart anyway, I opted for new rings. When I took it apart I could see where corrosion had taken place -- probably water in the cylinder -- twice -- once near the bottom and once near the top. Even the oil ring left its mark (white arrows). There were a few hone scratches from the previous assembly but I bet anything the old rings were re used -- just like the leaky gaskets and o-rings and seals.

So I took my hone and and went to work. I did not erase any of the corrosion marks but the "good" part of the cylinder had a nice cross hatch pattern. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture. I installed new rings, did a hard break in, changed the oil at 20 miles, and I am using dino oil for the first fifteen hundred miles and then back to Mobil 1.

Today, with 600 miles on the re ring job, 150 of those miles being ridden by Big D of the Sheetiron 150 fame, I did compression check.

145 seems like a pretty good number to me. How long will it last is a good question. I don't know. Also, it isn't using any oil.

So maybe something less than a perfect cylinder is adequate? Any thoughts from anyone?
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Tony,

Your old parts bike and Big D. both did quite well on the Norcal ride. I am thinking that, that old bike and engine will out last a lot of us. I enjoy your work, documentation, and presentation of it. Keep it up. Are you and Big D. ready for part II?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joemama View Post
    Tony,

Your old parts bike and Big D. both did quite well on the Norcal ride. I am thinking that, that old bike and engine will out last a lot of us. I enjoy your work, documentation, and presentation of it. Keep it up. Are you and Big D. ready for part II?

Joe

Joe -- Thanks for your kind remarks. I am 97% sure I will be there for part 2. Darrell mentioned something about a graduation but if it is any weekend other than the 15th he will be there too. Tony
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Tony! Very reassuring. Every weekend I tell myself "this is the weekend I get her running." This weekend is carb cleaning weekend. Get frustrated with the dead electrical system- Screw it and go back to the mechanics, right?

Sponosred Links