My attempt at valves.
Close

Thanks to all you guys (esp. a the few who took their own time and put together some great write ups!) and all the great information on here, otherwise I never would have attempted this without a competent person working with me helping.

So I got everything apart. Found top dead center, by using a straw. Checked the marks on the flywheel, they were true. Adjusted exhaust valves to where the .004" gauge fit between and not the .005" should be good. Intake I adjusted the same way, .002" fit, but the .003" didnt. Stuck tank back on. Started it up and uh-oh! Definately heard bad valve sounds. Shut it off and started thinking.

This is always bad...LOL.. I must have been on the intake top dead center instead of the exhaust top dead center? Or do I have it backwards?

Anyways, disassembled, refound exhaust top dead center?

Reassembled, And everything sounds good. Maybe lagging on bottom end a little, but it did get cold last night.

If it sounds like I did something wrong, please let me know. Im still a noob!
    '89 TW dark on light blue

Quote Originally Posted by gussy78 View Post
    Thanks to all you guys (esp. a the few who took their own time and put together some great write ups!) and all the great information on here, otherwise I never would have attempted this without a competent person working with me helping.

So I got everything apart. Found top dead center, by using a straw. Checked the marks on the flywheel, they were true. Adjusted exhaust valves to where the .004" gauge fit between and not the .005" should be good. Intake I adjusted the same way, .002" fit, but the .003" didnt. Stuck tank back on. Started it up and uh-oh! Definately heard bad valve sounds. Shut it off and started thinking.

This is always bad...LOL.. I must have been on the intake top dead center instead of the exhaust top dead center? Or do I have it backwards?

Anyways, disassembled, refound exhaust top dead center?

Reassembled, And everything sounds good. Maybe lagging on bottom end a little, but it did get cold last night.

If it sounds like I did something wrong, please let me know. Im still a noob!
    After reading on here awhile,the only way I adjust my valves now is using the top cam," top dead center mark".What I learned was if you use the "T" mark on the fly wheel,you could be 180 degrees off.I tested this, and it's true.I matched up the flywheel "T" mark,then looked at the cam "TDC" mark both match.Then rotate flywheel 360 degrees back to your "T" mark and your cam"TDC" mark will be off 180 degrees. The two extra bolts to take off is whorth the effort.
    1994 TW

Had but regrettably sold a 1982 KZ1000R Eddie Lawson Replica

Did the valves need much adjusting? anytime I adjust valves on anything if they are off much then I recheck if I'm doing it right. Usually valves need only a small amount of correction.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Gussy, I think you've got it right. Just make sure the piston is at top dead center on the compression stroke. Take out your plug and spin the crank and then stick your finger over the spark plug hole. You'll feel it pushing or sucking air. I used the straw method too but it was just easier for me to feel for the push of air and then I'd start looking for th "T" mark. I'm going to use Drifter's method next time, seems like you'll be right on every time.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

drifter what does mark on cam look like ?

Quote Originally Posted by jpuck View Post
    drifter what does mark on cam look like ?
    There is an alignment arrow just like the one for the flywheel,but under the cam sprocket cover.Then there is only a single line on the cam sprocket.
    1994 TW

drifter thanks for the reply. all tips are appreciated.

When i looked thru the inspection cap. It seemed the flywheel had two sets of hash marks, each set had about an 1/8" between lines. With a space of about a half an inch between the sets. Is this suppose to be the arrow?
    '89 TW dark on light blue

Quote Originally Posted by gussy78 View Post
    When i looked thru the inspection cap. It seemed the flywheel had two sets of hash marks, each set had about an 1/8" between lines. With a space of about a half an inch between the sets. Is this suppose to be the arrow?
    No,the arrow you are looking for is actually cast in the top part of the inspection hole,just at the end of the threads for the inspection cap.I found a thread in which I got my info.In the forum section,click on technical help,then go to page 2,the thread is called "valve adjustment question is what im seeing correct"
    1994 TW

If you use the cam sprocket everything you are concerned with is a non-issue.

Long live the internal combustion engine!

Sponosred Links