o-ring chain....any negatives?.
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: o-ring chain....any negatives?.

Those who use o-ring chains,was the chain seemingly more stiff than the OEM chain? and have you noticed any power DECREASE due to the extra stiffness?.Has your gas mileage went down?.If this has already been discussed,point me in the right direction. TIA

I didn't notice any ill effects. On the plus side I adjusted it once in 6k mile, vice every week with he stock chain.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

Fair enough.....I just remembered reading (Don't remember what forum) about riders complaining of such woes...as mentioned in my initial post.....and they just didn't make much since?.How could an o-ring chain make a bike work THAT much harder....so I decided to ask my trusted brethern!. TIA

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Technically an o-ring will rob power. I can see running an open (lighter) chain on a race bike where every ounce counts, but you'll never notice it on the TW.

I love my o-ring. I should have got one the first time I replaced my chain.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Those who use o-ring chains,was the chain seemingly more stiff than the OEM chain? and have you noticed any power DECREASE due to the extra stiffness?.Has your gas mileage went down?.If this has already been discussed,point me in the right direction. TIA

No. O-ring chains are way better all around.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Don't forget about X-ring, Z-ring and the new Z44 seal ring chains

I've got 5000 miles on a premium regular chain, I clean and lube after every long ride. My sprockets have no noticeable wear. I can't remember the last time I had to adjust it.

I'm still have on the stock front sprocket and a PBI rear sprocket I put on when the bike had about 350 miles on it.
    rurlndum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post

Mr Frog,

You pose an interesting question here. Like others, I've heard there was a little power robbery using the o-ring chain. This past winter when I installed my dual sprocket setup, I also put an o-ring chain on. True of the o-ring is you don't have to adjust it nearly as often. The only real noticable negative difference I "thought" I noticed with the o-ring, was a reduction in my top speed, though I can't be for sure. So, what I was thinking just to test my theory, was to install a new non o-ring type chain and see if there really is a top speed difference, (thus power).

However, you also mentioned gas mileage, and I hadn't given this part of the equation a thought. But after you mentioned this, I have noticed (the few times I checked), that my gas mileage had reduced. The last 2 times I checked my gas mileage, the best I've gotten has been 52 and 56mpg with the o-ring chain. I use to get in the 70's + with the standard chain, but since I had also put a different sprocket on, I attributed my reduction in miles per gallon on the sprocket and never thought the chain could cause this. Other than a slight top end loss and possible loss of mpg, the o-ring chain has been great.

So, I'm gonna put on a new standard chain and test these theories for something I can sort of measure, top speed and mpg.

I'll let you know what I find out from my testing.
    Old man likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thank you to all who responded.Admiral,to go to such links is admirable (no play on words intended....it just worked out that way).It will be interesting to see your data.....Thank you!.

I love my KMC 428UO drive chain.

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900269983

The KMC drive chain has very little friction from the O-rings. I really enjoy not needing to constantly adjust the drive chain.

In the springtime and fall, I encounter a lot of mud while riding off road. The drive chain takes a lot of punishment riding in these conditions.

About a week ago my Zong's swingarm collected so much mud it locked up my rear wheel! I had to stop three times to clean the goop out of the swingarm before I could continue my ride.

I enjoy the reduced maintenance required for the O-ring drive chains while riding in these harsh conditions.

Spud
    Vox Populi, Vox Dei.

Thanks for the link Spud, I just ordered one.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links