sea foam motor treatment
Close

Do you guys like this stuff? Looks like its good for lots of uses. I just wanted to run some through my fuel system via the gas tank. Any Recommendations/
    '89 TW dark on light blue

Nothing I've ever put it into ever showed any benefits. It led me to believe that people who do see improvements just don't know how to maintain their vehicles properly. I'm not disparaging them, they may just not know how to keep things maintained.. I'm just saying that I've put it through cars, trucks, lawn mowers, motorcycles, and have not once noticed any improvement. I've done the whole "suck it into the intake and smoke out the entire city block" to 'clean my valves' or whatever. No improvement.

I think Seafoam has been proven to stabilize gasoline, like Stabil does. So in theory it could help keep water and ethanol suspended in fuel so it doesn't corrode your carbs.

I always have a can of seafoam sitting around, but I don't believe the hype. Keeping your vehicles maintained properly (keep the gas tank clean, know how to rebuild and clean your carburetor) always works for me. There aren't any miracles in a can. Only people who let OEM stuff degrade to a poor running state, haha.

I have been reading up on Startron additive due to the ethanol thread. It looks like it's a more modern version of Seafoam and Stabil in terms of dealing with ethanol in gasoline. I will probably buy some to have around. All the while not really expecting it to help me out in any way

If you run seafoam through your fuel tank, just don't overdo it. It's pretty potent stuff. You could probably put 1/4 can into the tank and it'd run through fine, but even that is too much.
    1993 TW200

The only things I would put into the tank of a fine-running bike are octane booster for the bikes that need it when I can't get it, ethanol treatment for when I can't get E0 fuel, and lead additive for certain high performance situations and vintage vehicles.

Now, I've used Seafoam and woken up small engines with clogged passages, but you really shouldn't let it get to that if you can help it. Essentially you're just turning old fuel into semi-usable fuel.

If you're not hip to it yet, you usually only need stuff like Seafoam because your fuel has sat awhile. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure in this case, so just turning the fuel off and running the carb dry, draining the carb, or draining the fuel system altogether are some options when you know you're gonna be parked for awhile.

I prefer (and this is because my bikes won't go more than a couple weeks without running) to keep the tank full to prevent rust, and maybe some sort of treatment in there, with the carbs being dry. That's what I do when I know it's gonna sit for a little while.

All that said, it still won't kill you to have a can of the stuff in the shop, as everything has its purposes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

One of the last few times we discussed it. https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...l-vs-sea-foam/

& what the folks over at adv think about it http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601602

I've always been paranoid by both products because the benefits people describe also come from OTHER thinner oils. "Easier to start in the winter" is true if you put transmission fluid instead of motor oil in your crank case. Marvel Mystery Oil is an awesome air tool lubricant, and it smells like peppermint. I used to run it through my completely original '54 Ford sedan just because the thing was an oily tractor engine by the time I purchased it.

It does make sense about the need to stabilize fuel, however to keep water and ethanol suspended in the gas so that it'll burn through. Otherwise, that stuff tends to 'hang low' in the tank and it ends up being the first thing sucked through your carburetor when you go to start it after months of not riding the vehicle. So that's pretty much the only reason I'd ever use the products on a vehicle that runs right and has no mechanical problems.

It's fun to read testimony from people like the guy in the thread that supposedly had 130k miles on a Yamaha 850. That's awesome. The problem is that I know people with that many miles on bikes who didn't do anything other than regular upkeep with factory oil changes and valve adjustments. The trick to 100k+ miles is becoming very in tune with your machine to know when it's time to change oil, check valves, know that some critical part is loose or in need of attention.

In the case of the TW there's a ton of variables because nearly all of us are using them for different things and it's such a small engine that our own body weight affects the bike to a noteworthy degree. I feel like I could ride my TW 50k miles on the road before needing to re-ring it, but if I dink around in muddy corn fields like I did yesterday, I could see killing the poor thing in a year or two from over heating it and sucking dust into the engine.

The good news is that I don't think you'll really harm your engine using these additives. I'm skeptical about using Seafoam especially in your engine oil because it's very thin with no lubrication properties. I might be inclined to use it a day or two before I intend to change the oil to 'suck up the water' and then refill my case shortly thereafter with new oil only.

Before reading QWERTY's post about Marvel Mystery Oil containing pesticides, I would have preferred to drink MMO to Seafoam if someone put a gun to my head. But now I'm not sure!
    1993 TW200

Snake Oil in my opinion. I've used it and I don't think there was any noticeable difference except I got worse gas mileage. I think additives of any sort don't do squat. I'd like to see a Mythbusters episode though!!!
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

OK, I'll raise my hand at the value of Sea Foam. I've used it to help open up an internally gummed up carbs on both my TW and a Vstar 650. Both bikes I purchased used and the TW had sat for 1 year, the Vstar 5 years. I didn't want to crack open the carbs to clean them so, after getting them to run - both only at mid throttle cause the innards were clogged, I tried Sea Foam to see if it would open up the rest of the arteries of the carb. YEP it did... Granted it took some fussing, but it beat having to open the carbs up. BTW, it also cured my bad back and insomnia! <grin> I now use it regularly especially when I haven't ridden my TW for a month or so.
    2007 TW "Muley": Cyclerack rear, 55 tooth rear sprocket, Duro Power Grip & Shinko SR241, Clarke tank, Ricochet bash plate, Mule hitch pin quick seat removal, Trail Tech Vapor w/ Dashboard, hardwired Garmin 60csx & 205w, 12vdc adaptor, independent high beam off/on and signal beeper, modified seat.

2000 Yamaha V-star 650 Custom - [sold]

2009 Yamaha WR250R - "Willie Boy" the slimmer faster brother of my Muley.

2009 Hidden Content . Wow, what fun on the highway!

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Seafoam ($10 a can), and even better, Berryman's B12 Chemtool ($3 a can, a Walmart, Autozone, advance Auto parts, etc.) are only really good to keep carbs clean from the varnish that forms and preventing clogging of jets when the bike sits for an extended time. It won't improve engine performance in any way, other than keeping carbs clean. The usual dose of either is 1 oz/gal of fuel in the tank, at the most 2 oz/gal. A higher dose will make the engine run like crap.

I use it in my lawnmowers, outboards, and bikes, adding it maybe every 3 or 4 tank fillups and I have to say I have not had a dirty carb and crappy running engine ever since I have been doing that. It is preventive maintenance, not performance enhancing stuff.

I've used it for years. I think it helps to keep carb clean on machines you don't run all the time.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Sponosred Links