special tips for getting stock rear tire off the rim??
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    so I've done my due diligence & read all the old posts and seen hours of YouTube videos. so, any extra tips on getting the rear tire off the rim? I have to replace the tube. I popped it and then green slimed it and that was working so well I forgot to really fix it then i woke up one day & it was flat.... so I RE-green slimed it, pretty dumb but its holding for now. I've got my tire irons and a new tube, just need to get it done!
    2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

The easiest way for me was to take it to Firestone and ask one of the Techs to put it in the machine and break the bead. I tried doing it myself to no avail.
    Hidden Content

2005 TW200 (SOLD)
    2013 DR650

I bought a bead breaker from Harbor Freight. It barely fit the huge TW back tire and I had to use a pipe for extra leverage. It works but barely. I can't recommend it.

http://www.harborfre...aker-98875.html
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

n2o2 has suggested the easiest way.

Seems like I have to change 2 or3 tires a season, so I bought a car and truck bead breaker from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/bead-breaker-92961.html

Someone has previously posted how they made a giant lever from 2x4's to break the bead.

Jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

May be a bit brutish but I start to pry down with the tool then step on the tire at the bead. Also make sure your tube is good and deflated. Especially with the tw. I use the step method with any tube tire change though and it usually works. I also have a good set of motion pro tire tools. Makes a difference. You may want to try and spray a little lube of sort to get it going. I've found any cheap car interior type stuff works as a good lubricant for getting them off and on. Hope you get it squared away.

My tire change consisted of a six foot long 2x4, a one foot long 2x4 wedge and the bumper of my truck. Worked great though. I tried my feet (250 pounds), tire irons, floor jack against truck bumper with tire in-between (all that happened was that I lifted my truck into the air with my TW tire and wheel between it), and finally the 2x4 lever method. If you don't have the tools, n2o2diver made a great suggestion.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

[quote name='chainslap' date='15 May 2013 - 08:20 PM' timestamp='1368667231' post='76388']

May be a bit brutish but I start to pry down with the tool then step on the tire at the bead. Also make sure your tube is good and deflated. Especially with the tw. I use the step method with any tube tire change though and it usually works. I also have a good set of motion pro tire tools. Makes a difference. You may want to try and spray a little lube of sort to get it going. I've found any cheap car interior type stuff works as a good lubricant for getting them off and on. Hope you get it squared away.

[/quote0] +1. The right spoons makes the job a breeze.....well, less difficult anyway. Btw there's no rim locks on the

Tw so the job is easier than the youtube videos your watching.
    Persistence is the better part of genius.

I just removed a rear tire a few days ago and here are the tools and some lessons I learned. Before I started I watched a bunch of YouTube vids which were mostly helpful. My TW is my first experience with motorcycle tire changes.

Tools used:

- GENSSI Motorcycle Tire Changer Assembly (same as Black Widow but red) - works great for the front and I was able to bread the bead of the rear but the bolt through the hub is too short.

- Tusk 17" Mega Tire Iron - awesome tire iron highly recommended

- 2 smaller 8" irons

- NoMar Yellow Thing - useful to have but not necessary

- Rim protectors

On my bike the front bead was easy to bread and changing the tire was pretty simple and straight forward. On the rear, the bead was much harder to break. Currently my rear wheel is completely disassembled to be painted so I can't comment on installing the rear tire yet. I need to pray to the truing gods that I can lace and true my wheel within specs first . I will be using a Tusk Truing and Balance stand for this leg of the project.

Most helpful video I found:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hul4lq0sZC8[/media]

Balancing:

If you would like to balance your wheels/tires and don't want to pay a shop or buy seldom used tools go with Dyna Beads. I used these on my Buell starting last year when I replaced the tires on that and they work awesome. I found a post somewhere online where a TW owner reported success with them using 2oz in the front tube and 3oz in the back. I currently have 2oz in my front on the TW and it was very smooth. My new front tire is an IRC GP-1 5.10. I was able to test drive it before tearing into my rear wheel. RockyMountainATV sells a kit with the installation bottle with 2oz and 3oz bag of beads which worked out perfect.

What not to do
    :

I used the method shown in the video below to remove the tires from front and rear. Do not use this technique for the rear tire where you flip the wheel over and pull the tire over each side of the rim. It worked fine for the front but I could not flex the rear tire around the rim and ended up cutting the bead with tin snips and cutting the tire off. This tire was trash so it was an option for me.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFg44gjjDLA[/media]

Good luck!
    '95 TW200G - TCI skid, ProTaper bars, amber Jimbo, DMO pegs, IRC GP-1, DG-O w/TTR230 header, Brisk BR12ZC, ProCycle jet kit, K&N filter, DID x-ring, TCI Sequoia rack, storage tube, JNS light

'04 Buell XB12S Lightning - Drummer exhaust, race ECM, K&N, open airbox, RC right side scoop, Corbin seat, fender eliminator Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

thanks y'all! I'll tell you how it goes, it's coming off Saturday or Sunday
    2012 TW200, 1993 KLR650, 1992 GSX750F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links