Turning the lights off
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Turning the lights off

I live in Ca. and hunt in the rugged mountains of Idaho with my XT350. It would beat me up so bad crashing/falling and riding that heavy bike on the Billy Goat trails that I had to buy a more "forgiving" bike.

I just bought an 05 TW200. Sweet and very effortless ride. Sold my Rokon and XT350 as the TW200 is all those mixed into 1.

I've already done some trail riding with it and what a difference. I should have bought one 10 years ago!

I have ordered a Cycle Rack rear rack for hauling out my elk quarters, hand guards and a stock muffler for that "stealth" mode but I want to know if there is an easy way to install a switch to turn off all the lights as I'm riding.

I want to be able to sneak up on game and not let the other hunters know where I am and with all the lights on I look like a Christmas Tree riding down the trail.

Obviously I will not use this lighting kill switch when I am on public roads, only when I am off road and need to be sneaky.

There was some talk about how to install it but it wasn't clear.
    turbodieseli4i6 likes this.

rbm
    Interested in this too, anyone done this?

Me too! Would be nice to take advantage of the stealthiness of this little machine. I have a short stretch through a neighbors back yard to get our trails. They know I cut through there and dont mind but I can see my headlights flashing on their bedroom wall at night when I bounce through. I would like a "on-off-on?" switch so I could run the high/low lights for normal road driving, then have a smaller/dimmer trail light for when needed. Or to just be able to shut them off completely. I need to order a weatherproof toggle to get started. Was looking at a Cole Hearse switch. Id have to figure out where to mount the switch. With a little luck I probably could of had it done by now if Id of ordered the part when I first thought about it. In the past I adjusted my light down towards the ground but then any night rides on rural wooded roads could be absolutely treacherous. I know there is going to be safety concerns with this. I believe most all of us are aware enough to watch our own asses. This maturity is part of the path that lead me to the TW anyway. Any advice on equipment needed would be awesome. Good topic!
    '89 TW dark on light blue

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I think the bike runs without the battery (the CDI circuit) so technically all you need to do is cut power to the battery which would require a beefy switch, but would be easy to hook up as well as remove later if you want to sell the bike. That means no brake light though.
    1993 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
    I think the bike runs without the battery (the CDI circuit) so technically all you need to do is cut power to the battery which would require a beefy switch, but would be easy to hook up as well as remove later if you want to sell the bike. That means no brake light though.
    Yeah I would want no lights...Meaning brake lights also.

Again, it would only be used in stealth mode (Coming into a hunting area early morning sneaky-sneaky) I am an electrician so I know how to install a switch, I am concerned about messing up the charging system. I work with AC, never DC.

Dont want to mess up the rectifier/regulator, or possibly the stator?!?

Someone must have more knowledge to this than me.

I was thinking of just finding the wire that feeds the lights and install an in-line switch (multi pole switch if needed) that would cut power to the lights.

It would also help when starting in low temps as there is not a lighting load on the battery at start up.

There are three wires to the plug on the back of the headlight. Figure out which wire is to the dim side and unplug it. Then you'll have lights on bright, and when you hit dim, you will have none.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

killing power to the battery means no headlight, tail light, running lights at the front turn signals... and most importantly, no boiling the battery over.
    Fred likes this.
    1993 TW200

So that way the battery will not receive or give out any voltage and not receive a charge.

I guess it doesn't matter if it doesn't charge during "stealth mode" as I will be using it on a limited basis and most the time be in regular lights on mode (normal operating mode).

Just curious.

So a master main shut off switch would have to be installed........where?

On the positive battery terminal?

So effectively killing ALL power coming out from the battery.

Wow, what amp rated switch would that have to be?

Yep, that's my best guess. You can use a solenoid and a smaller switch to deal with the 'big current' issue. Kinda funny using a solenoid to open the circuit of the same battery that powers the solenoid, but it would allow a cheaper switch and be safer because of less need to run high current wire all the way through the bike.

A solenoid circuit with a normal handlebar toggle switch would be a clean, but complicated setup to use. It'd jumper between your positive battery wire and terminal The switch/solenoid circuit should be fused for safety.

The powered side of the solenoid would have to be wired separately obviously.

Simplest solution is to just unscrew the red wire from the battery when you get to the woods and let it hang loose somewhere. It takes me about 30 seconds to get my seat off the bike since I have the quick release bolts that don't require a wrench holding it on.

If you do make a switch setup directly to the battery, I'd try to mount it as close to the battery as possible. Maybe on the frame under your right leg. They make cheap and expensive battery cut-off switches for use in race cars or to keep your battery from going dead due to always-on devices like clocks in classic cars.

Something like this:

or this

http://www.performanceplusconnection...PPC%20Face.jpg

They cost about 30 bucks. That's your easiest route. Just one of those mounted near the battery where you can access it without removing the seat.
    1993 TW200

Here's a cheap Harbor Freight option:

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...tch-66789.html

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links