Start but no start - please help -
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi guys,

After an year in storage (tank full+stabil) just took my tw200 out this morning. The battery compartment was full of squirrel nest After clean up and battery installation it starts fine. But -

1. As soon as I put the bike in 1st or 2nd gear the engine stops.

2. Noticed a black+blue 2-wire combination which goes from left of the battery, to the right where the fuse is located in side panel. I am not sure what this wire is for but it seemed unusually stripped and separated (squirrel again?)

So now two possibilities -

Problem is unrelated to the blue/black wire - in which case what things can I try?

OR

Problem is indeed the wire - I soldered it back for now, but problem did not resolve. I am puzzled now on the purpose of wire and if it even needs connected.

At my wits end trying to resolve this - Would appreciate some help from forum members.

Thanks.

RTF/Boston.

Take the side cover off and see if your buddy filled up the air filter compartment with goodies... I just hope they didn't fill it up full to the carb... Check the safety switch for the side stand.......... See if the wire

is corroded or chewed off by your good buddy. Good luck. OMM.

I second the kickstand. Didn't read all of omm's post.
    Tenaciously Deviant Unwittingly Brilliant

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys, will check the air filter compartment, should have thought of that. The gear pedal press and subsequent kill action is very precise and repeatable, so I would think stand switch as well. Is this the switch -

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/a...050412b017.jpg

1. What does the blue-end connect to on the other side? because that might have been the chewed up wires I mentioned earlier, though the 2 wires going in are blue/black on my 2005 bike unlike 2-blacks in pic above.

2. How do I disable/remove the kickstand safety check from the start sequence? Would disabling it fail state inspection?

3. Horn is not working either .. related ?

Thanks again ...

RTF.

Your clutch plates may be stuck together. Start the bike and let it warm up. Shut it off. Put it in gear and rock it back and forth with the clutch lever pulled until the clutch releases. Start it back up and go for a ride.

Joe

Big second to Joemamas reply. LET IT WARM UP really well. I have had my die the minute I put it in gear simply because it was cold and the oil was thick. We had a guy post a similar problem last fall. After taking it to a dealer and spending 100.00 he deterimnied it was the 20-50 oil he was running.

Thanks, will try that too, but that's probably not it, because its been warmed up several times in successful engine starts. Per your suggestion - "....Put it in gear and rock it back and forth with the clutch lever pulled until the clutch releases."

Did you mean in gear with the engine off and clutch pressed? Because the engine shuts off as soon as I put it in gear. . And the shutoff is so precise it doesn't seem like a mechanical failure, but more electrical in nature (which is leading me to believe stand safety switch; can I confirm that without getting a new safety switch?).

Also, do you guys remember if the horn works in neutral?

Thanks ..

I think the horn works always until you press the starter... Then the starter even turns the lights off until started............ my wife's 650 yammie stalls every time I put it in gear until warmed up...................I wish I could help more.......... But I haven't had many problems with our dubs... Good luck. OMM.

Quote Originally Posted by RTF View Post
    Thanks guys, will check the air filter compartment, should have thought of that. The gear pedal press and subsequent kill action is very precise and repeatable, so I would think stand switch as well. Is this the switch -

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/a...050412b017.jpg

1. What does the blue-end connect to on the other side? because that might have been the chewed up wires I mentioned earlier, though the 2 wires going in are blue/black on my 2005 bike unlike 2-blacks in pic above.

2. How do I disable/remove the kickstand safety check from the start sequence? Would disabling it fail state inspection?

3. Horn is not working either .. related ?

Thanks again ...

RTF.

Yes that is the switch, if you take your seat off there will be the same blue plug (unless it got chewed off, in which case its a dark blue wire with a black strip and a black wire with a white stripe in it) that it connects to either cut the plug off (unless its not there) and strip the wires and twist them together or if you want to keep you wiring harness stock..., cut the plug off the switch with excess wire, strip it and twist it together, and shrink wrap it so it doesnt short on anything metal. after you short the wires the kickstand killswitch will be bypassed, and I highly doubt it would fail any inspection, if it does cut the plug and twist the same colors together, and heatshrink it, remount the switch and it will be just like new.

as for the horn, the wire might have gotten chewed, I havent played with that yet haha. good luck hope this helps get you back on the road!

Yes, after the engine and oil have warmed up, shut the engine off, put it in gear, pull the clutch release lever. Try to move the bike. If it will not roll, rock it to try to get the clutch plates to release. If the clutch is releasing as it should, your bike will roll as if it is out of gear. If the clutch is locked up it will not roll. This will cause the engine to die put in gear. After a bike has sat for some time as yours has this is common. It will only take a minute to confirm or eliminate this as your cause of stalling when put in gear. Good luck and keep us posted.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links