stator and rectifier
Close

how long before i have problems with them ? thanks in advance.
    2006 tw200

i guess they last forever then huh ?? no one ever had to replace these ?
    2006 tw200

Only times I've ever had to replace them on any vehicle was when something went wrong with some other part and fried them.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

thank you for responding. on your 2007 ? miles ? if one fails the other will fail if you keep on riding correct ?
    2006 tw200

Quote Originally Posted by 671tdub View Post
    thank you for responding. on your 2007 ? miles ? if one fails the other will fail if you keep on riding correct ?

If one fails there is a greater chance of the other failing. Either because of the condition that fried the first one, or because the electrical system gets out of balance and fries the other.

Both are sensitive to abnormal electrical conditions, like high voltage from not enough load, or high amperage from too much load trying to draw power. Welding has also been known to mess with them and the CDI.

For the average owner, these parts should never have to be replaced. But then... who here is average?
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

I'm not very electrical inclined, but I'll tell you why I replaced my rectifier. Its a 1990 with under 8,000 miles. I've put about 5,000 of those miles on it.

I was dumb and put in a higher wattage headlight bulb. Worked great and I loved the extra light. My battery eventually died and wouldn't hold a charge.

Then one day, my headlight went out. I checked it out and the bulb had overwhelmed the connector (wires that connect to back of headlight bulb) and partially melted it. Luckily, it was still functional.

I replaced the headlight with the original and bought a new battery. The new battery wouldn't hold a charge either. So after some trial and error and some research, I found my rectifier was toast.

I found a used one on ebay for about thirty bucks. I know, buyer beware on used electrical parts, but it solved my problem. Now the battery charges just fine.

So to answer your question, yeah, you can have problems with them, but I think they are avoidable.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

I've owned a dozen different bikes over the years, with over a 100,000 miles ridden, and replaced one CDI unit and one stator. The CDI unit was on a 1984 Honda ATC 250R. The bike went dead instantly, with a dead spark. I bought a CDI off E-bay and off I went. On the other hand, the stator on my 2002 Arctic Cat 375 was causing a misfire during 1/2 to full throttle. It took me a very long time to diagnose, but the problem was solved with replacement of the stator. The bike was only 4 years old when the problem started. I've never had to replace a regulator/rectifier or coil on a bike.

I've also had two ignition control modules (basically the same thing as a CDI) on two different Chevy trucks go bad. One was a 1980 with 300K and a 1998 with 225K. The point is, most of the electronics on these motors should last the life of the motor. Once in a while, you'll get a component that goes bad before its time... For your 2006 TW, which is what I ride now, you shouldn't have to worry about it for a long time.

Sponosred Links