What do ya think?
Close

Since I decided to stay away from synthetic oils to avoid a base gasket leak, and just run a 10W-40 Dino oil, I plan on changing the oil every 1000 miles as its cheap to do so. Now, I would think I would not have to change/clean the filters every 1000 miles, but more like every 3000 miles!

What is your feeling or thoughts on my thought process?
    Swamp

2006 TW200

Since the TW filter is so easily accessible and reusable, I see no reason not to clean it at least with every oil change.

Are you referring to the screen filter at the oil drain, or the actual oil filter up on the other side of the engine?? I'd clean the screen every time and replace the oil filter every time you change the oil. IMHO, If the oil needs changing, so does the filter.

You've got a friend in the Bracket Business! Hidden Content

Get your TW200 Parts at ProCycle! Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    Since I decided to stay away from synthetic oils to avoid a base gasket leak, and just run a 10W-40 Dino oil, I plan on changing the oil every 1000 miles as its cheap to do so. Now, I would think I would not have to change/clean the filters every 1000 miles, but more like every 3000 miles!

What is your feeling or thoughts on my thought process?

Since you have to remove the bottom screen any time you drain the oil, it automatically gets cleaned. (Who would put that screen back in if it had some obvious particles in it?)

I actually clean my filter once between oil changes (1,000, even though I use syn, because that equates closely with every 6 months). This is just the opposite of what you suggest, since it's so quick and easy. I still have the original filter at 5,000 miles, and as long as it does not look like the fine screen is significantly plugged with gooey un-removable material I will keep using it. The pleated screen actually has more surface area, but it's harder to determine when it needs replacing. People have used the original non-pleated filter for 50,000 miles.

The reason I check and clean my filter every 500 miles or so is because I keep finding black goo on it, which I now believe is just carbonized oil from the occasional hot and slow operation. If a few 500 mile checks reveal no contamination at all, by all means go to just at each oil change. It's a very false economy of time spent to try only every third change, because if there IS any problem you will not find out about it until WAY too late.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Honestly, every time I have removed my oil filter it was clean so I hardly do it anymore. Maybe every 4500 to 6000 miles. I do change the oil every 1500 to 2000 miles and maybe that is why.

I use the screen type filter. Every time it as been really clean. Makes me wonder how much good it is doing?
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Might as well inspect and clean the filters,if needed, since they are so accessable.The upper pleated filter is reusable,over and oever again as long as it is not torn,fouled up etc..

The owners manual calls for changing the oil, as well as cleaning both filter screens every 3000 miles.

Now since there is a screen behind the drain plug, naturally I would clean that when I pull the drain plug to drain the oil every 1000 miles. But I would only clean the cannister filter every 3000 miles.
    Swamp

2006 TW200

I only got real "junk" in my filter with my first oil change. I still clean it every oil change but I only change the oil about every 2000 miles.

Another note, I had the same idea on the dino oil because I have a small base gasket leak.(at least I think that is where its coming from.) I Changed to synthetic and Im glad I did. The shifting is much smoother and I haven't noticed any change in the leak yet. At 7000 miles on the bike now.
    2008 TDUB

Quote Originally Posted by iowatdub View Post
    I only got real "junk" in my filter with my first oil change. I still clean it every oil change but I only change the oil about every 2000 miles.

Another note, I had the same idea on the dino oil because I have a small base gasket leak.(at least I think that is where its coming from.) I Changed to synthetic and Im glad I did. The shifting is much smoother and I haven't noticed any change in the leak yet. At 7000 miles on the bike now.

I should have noted, I had the base gasket leak with dino oil, switched to synt. and don't see much difference in the leak 2000-3000 miles later. It my get bad enough to get worried someday but doesn't bother me for now.
    2008 TDUB

I run dino oil in mine & I would think that cleaning/checking the filters at 3000 would be fine. Geezus if you did it every 1000 miles you would wear out the threads from checking them so often, Lol...

As far as the base gasket goes. I know that it is a known issue, but I feel that if you let the engine get warm before you jump on the throttle you will prolong the gaskets life.

On the Harley Evolution engines they had base gasket issues & found that if the engine/cylinder were allowed to warm up that they would elongate & provide a better seal., Just sayin...
    2005 Yamaha TW200
    2003 Kawasaki KLR650
    1995 BMW R100GSPD Classic
    1983 Honda CT110
    1984 Honda CT110

Sponosred Links