Slime saved the day in my Duro Power Grip
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JS5owner

Thread: Slime saved the day in my Duro Power Grip

Several years ago when I installed the Duro Power Grip on my Muley I also put about 8 oz of Slime in the tube. The other day as I was getting ready for a 170+ mile ride I was doing a "pre-ride." Before I started I was looking at the Duro and what do you think I saw but a nail head. On my last ride of about 160 miles I must have picked up this nail. It went right through the middle of a big center lug. (I cannot imagine the force let alone the odds of this nail going all the way in) So what to do? As I pulled the nail out it just kept coming... 3" total and then the hiss of air. I then rolled the tire so the hole was down and bingo the Slime stopped it. Well what to do now? I don't have an extra tube and I didn't have the time to patch the hole. So I just added another 8 oz of slime and went for a 1 1/2 hour ride. It only lost 1 lb of air pressure. I set it in the garage with the hole pointed down and expected to see it flat in the AM. It wasn't... just another lb. lost. OK... I then took it for a 9 hour 170+ mile ride on some tough fire roads from Yucca Valley to Big Bear and around Big Bear. Checking the pressure at almost every stop. The whole day I only lost 1 lb. of air. THE SLIME WORKED!!! I've ordered another tube and will install it but FWIW, I'm REALLY convinced of the power of the Slime. Here a few pictures of the nail.

2007 TW "Muley": Cyclerack rear, 55 tooth rear sprocket, Duro Power Grip & Shinko SR241, Clarke tank, Ricochet bash plate, Mule hitch pin quick seat removal, Trail Tech Vapor w/ Dashboard, hardwired Garmin 60csx & 205w, 12vdc adaptor, independent high beam off/on and signal beeper, modified seat.

2000 Yamaha V-star 650 Custom - [sold]

2009 Yamaha WR250R - "Willie Boy" the slimmer faster brother of my Muley.

2009 Hidden Content . Wow, what fun on the highway!

Quote Originally Posted by JS5owner View Post
    Several years ago when I installed the Duro Power Grip on my Muley I also put about 8 oz of Slime in the tube. The other day as I was getting ready for a 170+ mile ride I was doing a "pre-ride." Before I started I was looking at the Duro and what do you think I saw but a nail head. On my last ride of about 160 miles I must have picked up this nail. It went right through the middle of a big center lug. (I cannot imagine the force let alone the odds of this nail going all the way in) So what to do? As I pulled the nail out it just kept coming... 3" total and then the hiss of air. I then rolled the tire so the hole was down and bingo the Slime stopped it. Well what to do now? I don't have an extra tube and I didn't have the time to patch the hole. So I just added another 8 oz of slime and went for a 1 1/2 hour ride. It only lost 1 lb of air pressure. I set it in the garage with the hole pointed down and expected to see it flat in the AM. It wasn't... just another lb. lost. OK... I then took it for a 9 hour 170+ mile ride on some tough fire roads from Yucca Valley to Big Bear and around Big Bear. Checking the pressure at almost every stop. The whole day I only lost 1 lb. of air. THE SLIME WORKED!!! I've ordered another tube and will install it but FWIW, I'm REALLY convinced of the power of the Slime. Here a few pictures of the nail.

I pulled a nail about the same size out of my slime protected tire and ran it for several thousand miles without patching it. A word of caution though.Do not let that pressure drop too much. If it does then the slime seems to not work. I think it is because it works by sealing between the tube and the tire. Whenever I have removed a tube that was sealed by slime I notice a large flat spot of slime on the outside of the tube.

cool. the green bottle from kmart ?
    2006 tw200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

JS5, That's a great experience and many folks will appreciate the news. However be forewarned that those holes tend to ooze for a long time (foreever?) and eventually you end up with a bunch of slime in the wheel. Read your packaging carefully and they will tell you how corrosive Slime can be and that it is not something you want to have in constant contact with your wheel (spoke nipples,etc.). I always figured my long distance emergency kit was a portable pump and a bottle of slime (get a flat, install the slime, and pump it up; then next convenient time change it all out for new tube sans slime). So what I'm saying is I'd use slime like you did but not leave that leaky tube in there for a long time. Trashing a wheel to save a few dozens of dollars for a tube and tire change would not be good economics. RideOn may be less corrosive but I can't speak to that one as a permanent in the tire fixit. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by 671tdub View Post
    cool. the green bottle from kmart ?

Yep... I bought it with the 12vdc air pump.
    2007 TW "Muley": Cyclerack rear, 55 tooth rear sprocket, Duro Power Grip & Shinko SR241, Clarke tank, Ricochet bash plate, Mule hitch pin quick seat removal, Trail Tech Vapor w/ Dashboard, hardwired Garmin 60csx & 205w, 12vdc adaptor, independent high beam off/on and signal beeper, modified seat.

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    JS5, That's a great experience and many folks will appreciate the news. However be forewarned that those holes tend to ooze for a long time (foreever?) and eventually you end up with a bunch of slime in the wheel. Read your packaging carefully and they will tell you how corrosive Slime can be and that it is not something you want to have in constant contact with your wheel (spoke nipples,etc.). I always figured my long distance emergency kit was a portable pump and a bottle of slime (get a flat, install the slime, and pump it up; then next convenient time change it all out for new tube sans slime). So what I'm saying is I'd use slime like you did but not leave that leaky tube in there for a long time. Trashing a wheel to save a few dozens of dollars for a tube and tire change would not be good economics. RideOn may be less corrosive but I can't speak to that one as a permanent in the tire fixit. Tom

I'll be doing a tube swap ASAP. Thanks for the heads up.

I used this stuff in my lawn mower and have not had to add air to the tires in the past two years. Before that, they all went flat within a week.

However, for reasons mentioned above, I won't use it in bikes. Also... my friend filled up the back tire in his bike with it once (he had run over a nail about the same size as yours) and at 50mph his gooop plug gave out.

I just heard a pop and a hiss and the next thing I knew my face was covered with that green crap since I was following him and he had a neon green stripe around his rear tire, rear fender, and almost wrecked because he had no traction on the back tire.

For whatever reason the hole was too big and when the dried plug gave way, he shot out a lot of the slime almost immediately.

Therefore I am old skool.. Bicycle tube patches for my tubed stuff and though it's not 'safe' or reccommended, I have used rubber tire patch strings on my tubeless stuff until I can get a new tire sent in the mail.
    1993 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    RideOn may be less corrosive but I can't speak to that one as a permanent in the tire fixit. Tom

Ride-On is supposed to be less corrosive, a moot point in tubed tires until it activates after a puncture. It IS a LOT easier to clean up.

However, it is most definitely NOT a permanent fix, although there are many who say they've continued to ride on that tire for a year or more.

I would not be willing to take that chance. I'd get a hot patch on the inside and a new tube as soon as I discovered the puncture.

I just hope it works when I need it, since I love exploring old mining sites in the middle of nowhere.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Had my tube replaced today and to my surprise the Duro went back on at 40psi. I was prepared for a battle like when we first put it on. I guess the bead HAD to stretch a bit after being on the tire for several years. All is well and Muley is ready to take me where ever I ask her to go. BTW, I've ridden my Duro all over trails and on street / even highways at my top speed of 62 mph with my gearing 14/55. I've had zero issues on twisties even with that big fat tire.
    Fred likes this.

Sponosred Links