Cycleracks????????
Close

I received my Cyclerack a couple of days ago, and after mounting it to the bike, I noticed something. Standing at the back of the bike and looking down, the new rack is not square with the bike! I mean, it's off (canted, cockeyed) over an inch from one side to the other. And, after looking at it sqaure on from the rear, the hump on the back bar is not centered over the rear light, again, off by over an inch.

Have any of you ever noticed this on your Cycleracks? I know these things can spring somewhat from the jigs after welding, but was wondering if I got a second or something.
    Swamp

2006 TW200

Well, after looking at Tirebiters thread on Cabela's Bag's, I see his is like mine! Look at photos 4 & 5, and you can see what I'm talking about. My Cyclerack is off in the same direction as his. It must be just the tolerances in the manufacturing (Welding = Heat) of the tubes.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...las-tank-bags/

I'm OK with it, and once I get my new bag hooked up to it, you'll never notice it!
    Swamp

2006 TW200

My cyclerack was just like that as well. I was able to put some stainless washers under the left mounting hole (rear of seat) to get mine closer. I also found out that it helped to put pressure on it as I tightened the bolts. The sequence of tightening the bolts may help as well. I think you should be able to straighten it up a bit. I'm really happy with my rack and considered this just a minor inconvenience. Let us know how it works out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I've never been happy with the way my rack fits either but I haven't complained to Cycleracks. I should have but any combination of things could be causing the misalignment, including the frame tabs being welded wrong. I figured it would be a hassle to straighten out so I've lived with it. For $200 I did expect a better fit.....elongated holes of something to accomodate misalignment. With all the happy customers on this board, I've never posted my opinion of the rack.

Here's a pic of the top mounting bracket misalignment of the bolt holes in the frame. The footpeg bolts are in but loose enough to try to get better alignment but this is where it's at. With the footpeg bolts tight there is no way I can get the top bracket bolts in. It was worse when new but I've forced it so many times I think I've bent something (in favor of bolt hole alignment) by pushing so hard to get the bolts in. This makes it even less square to the bike. Even with the top bolts out, the rack still doesn't sit straight on the bike. When I force the rack to the right to get the bolts in, it is like yours, about an inch or more cockeyed.

Ok, that cockeyed rack has just bugged the crap out of me for too long so I attacked it. I think it's a little better. I know, it's just a dirt bike but when something isn't right I owe it to all the retired tinkerers in the world to at least try to make it better. The day was probably better spent doing this than driving to the cabin in the Memorial Day Friday traffic anyway.

Pics:

I bolted the top bracket tightly to the frame to see where the down tubes were as a starting point. These two pics show the different sides.

Next I got out my BFH and started to beat it into submission. The bracket wasn't located right. It was crooked and it didn't mate flat to the frame crossmember.

Once the bracket was in the ballpark, I needed to bend the down tubes so I used the back deck steps.

When I got it close enough I bolted the down tubes tight, stood the bike level, dropped a couple of plumb lines to make sure the rack was centered (measured to the turn signal frame tabs).

That showed me how far off the top bracket holes where so I used a die grinder to move the holes to where they needed to be.

It's close enough and a lot better than it was. I took the rack on and off a couple of times after I was done and now I can put any bolt in with my fingers and not have to push and pull things.

Before

And after

I havent seen one thats not cock eyed a little bit. It bothered me at first but after i found out how much i liked the rack it didnt matter that much that its not straight.

I too was surprised to find mine a little cockeyed. Nice job realigning!

Quote Originally Posted by Small's View Post
    I havent seen one thats not cock eyed a little bit. It bothered me at first but after i found out how much i liked the rack it didnt matter that much that its not straight.

Interesting! The one I got two years ago was perfectly true....If it was really bad, I'd complain....provided, of course, that I had a reasonably new bike that had zero chance of a bent frame.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

I fixed mine as well! Things like this bug me, and I just have to do something about it! I still love the rack, and now its sitting correctly on the bike. I know tubing can spring somewhat after being put in a jig and welded.

Anyway, I unbolted the rack and started over. I bolted up the the two lower bolts to the frame. Now, looking at the rack from the top view, I pushed the rack over until it was centered better on the bike, and looking down at the top bracket, it was way off, so far off that I was able to drill new holes. I marked the spots, and took the rack off the bike. I measured to make sure my spots were on to the bracket on the bike, which they were, and drilled new holes. I reinstalled the rack, and it is now square to the bike.
    Swamp

2006 TW200

I'm also bothered by uncentered and mis-alignments. My new TWs bikini fairing/headlight was off center when new. The same with my KLR. After some tinkering, there both straight. So I know where you're coming from.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Sponosred Links