TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Dumb question -- bullet electrical connector

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  TW-Brian 
#1 ·
Hello, all. Hope everyone is enjoying the start to their Memorial Day weekend. Quick question.

I'm installing a round headlight and new signals on my TW. I have the OEM light and bracket off, and I've disconnected the original signals.

As I'm wiring in the new signals (three wires), I've found that the male bullet connectors don't exactly fit in the female ports. They are close, but they don't stay snug. Is this something I should crimp? Simply squeeze shut with pliers? Solder?

Please don't underestimate how little I know about electrical work or DIY motorcycle projects. I know nothing and am just trying to figure it out as I go. Explain it to me like I'm 5.

Thanks! ... Deldog

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Deldog,

This is a pretty common problem. If you can, try to slide the plastic sheath back to expose the female connector. Using pliers, gently squeeze the female connector to reduce the inner diameter by approximately 1/3 of the original diameter. Try to keep the female connector kind of round and try not to flatten it. This should be enough to secure the smaller male connector. If not, pinch it a little bit more to hold the male pin more securely. Slide the plastic sheath back on and you should be good to go. A couple of wraps of electrical tape may give you some additional peace of mind.

Brian

#4 ·
Ugh! Your advice worked, Brian, and I thought I was on the home stretch!

However, when I went to attach the "universal" side headlight brackets, they didn't fit around my forks. So bummed. Not sure whether to order new ones, or put the old setup back on so I can ride it to our new house next weekend. Decisions, decisions.

Anyway, thanks for the advice on the connectors. Worked like a charm so far.

I'll figure this out yet. ... Deldog

#5 ·
Don't get discouraged, we've all experienced similar speedbumps.

If I remember your earlier post, you were getting the type of headlight brackets that fit a range of fork tubes. These usually consist of two pieces, with the smaller piece secured by a hook on one end and a bolt on the other end. Does this sound like yours?

You say that they won't fit around your forks. Does that mean they are too small? If that is the case, would a longer bolt help?

The pictures of your bullet connector problem made that one easy to solve. Maybe a picture of your headlight bracket problem will inspire someone with a solution.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.