Newbie Tech Question
Close

This is my first post and I hope you all can help.

I just purchased a 2005 TW200 with about 4,000 miles on it from a private party and already I am having some issues that I don't know how to resolve and I am not sure how to get them resolved. I am not a motorcycle mechanic although I was a bicycle mechanic for many years and have a small skillset that might help with simple issues.

I live about an hour away from the Yamaha dealer and just got my endorsement. Not comfortable riding in the city. I don't have a trailer so I would have to ride the bike to the dealer or take it to a local mechanic. Only problem is that the local mechanic works at the auto shop as a car mechanic. Not sure the extent of his motorcycle training, although I understand he is formally trained.

Either way, the brake light just shorted out and is on all the time. I am not sure how to find the source of the short.

The reason I need to get the bike in is because it is idling very high after it's warmed up. The bike came from 5,000 feet and I ride it at 9,000 feet so I am not sure if it needs to be rejetted or if it has carburetor issues that are far more extensive. Not sure how to determine what to do here and if I get it fixed by a third party, I want to go into the appointment with some knowledge so I don't get the short end of the stick.

The bike also seems really loud when I'm on the throttle.

Almost able to get the bike to 55, but that's about it.

I have an appointment to get the bike in tomorrow to the local guy, but I'm a little hesitant and of course would like to get the brake light fixed before I ride it there, or to the Yamaha dealer.

Thanks in advance for any advice you to can give me.

Have a great day and if I don't get a reply, I'll understand. I wish I could be out riding today!

The rear brake light is activated in two ways, one from the lever on the handle bar on the right side of the bike (front brake lever) and the other is from the foot brake on the right side of the bike (rear brake pedal).

The easiest one to check first would be the rear brake. Turn the key on so your lights are on. At the rear brake pedal, find a long thin rod that goes vertical up the bike. It will be connected to a spring, which is connected to a black kind of round thing. Off of the round black thing will be two wires. Unplug them and see if the light goes out.

The front one is easy to do, just a little more difficult to reach. Follow the wire coming from your front brake perch. It will go behind the headlight. You may have to stoop down or get on your knees to get to it. Anyways, follow the wire to the connector and unplug it. If this turns off your brake light then you know its the front.

Here is a picture of the rear brake pedal connector:

And the front. Mine is a 1990 so it will be different from yours, but I assume it will be similar.

At the lever:

Follow it down the handlebar to behind the headlight:

And just unplug it:

There could be other things wrong as well, but this should narrow it down.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

As for the high idle, make sure there is slack in the throttle cables.

Then try adjusting the throttle stop screw before you think about rejetting.

Jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If it ran well at the lower elevations, smoother idle, went faster, more power...etc and is now different at higher altitude, then the carb probably does need to be rejetted. I would take it to the dealer rather then the local mechanic. They have all the parts, have run into this before and can probably get it done quicker than the local car mechanic.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I'm in town checking the forum and just want to say thank you to you all. Will fix the taillight today and get to the dealer this week.

Just noticed you are riding at 9,000 ft. A rejet is likely needed.

Jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

I'm just headed out to check the brake light and have decided to get the bike to the dealer for rejetting. As it's been pointed out, the dealer will have all the jets and other parts needed.

Wish me luck!

Found both the front and rear brake light fuses and unplugged them. Brake light still on.

What's the next step?

(will search the forum as well)

I found other couplings linked to the brake light so I followed them and in doing so stripped one of the connections, which is no big deal as I there is enough wiring to work with, but I don't know which wire goes to which, as the colors don't match. The pic shows baby blue and dark blue on the male side and brown and black on the female side. Any ideas on who goes where? I don't know how to insert a pic yet, so that doesn't help! I didn't find any other problems in following the wiring, but I did notice the rear brake's wire was a little bent and had some slack. I straightened it but no luck with the brake light.

I really need to stop working on the bike, get the brake light fixed and get it to the shop, so someone qualified can work on this poor bike.

Sponosred Links