OEM skid plate
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OEM skid plate

I'd noticed (awhile back) there was no mention of a torque value for the OEM skid plate bolt;so,I had always been leary of putting too much juice on the bolt when tightening.Well,this mid afternoon before leaving for work....I did it.I was putting on the OEM skid plate back on after retorquing the oil drain bolt / cap (shifter side lower...it that helps) and the bolt seemed to tighten up.....THEN,it ceased and started to feelike it was loosening....OH....CRAP!.Yep, it stripped;now the bolt will not back out for removal!.Well,it's either buy another engine stay that bolts to the engine and upper frame or something.....either way, when I do get this D-mn thing out,I'll have to decide to either: Replace stripped threaded area,hence,a new engine stay or buy an after market skid plate. The after market skid plate isn't a bad alternative except you have to cut off the "old" mounting loop on the bottom or pay quite a bit for the TCI plate ????? decisions,decisions?.

Try grabing it with ViseGrips and turn it while pulling, a screwdriver between the plate and frame can help. Once off tap the hole to a larger bolt size.
    09 TW200

04 BMW 1150GS

61 Sunbeam Alpine

The TCI plate uses the front mounting hole, but the Ricochet does not. Cutting the loop is not a big deal and most owners don't have to. I'd try what Toyanvil mentioned first.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good points....I tried a pair of line-man's pliers....didn't work?....I'll try the vise grip!. Thanks

Try using the vise grips on the bolt head and putting a small pry bar or screwdriver underneath the vise grip to apply outward pressure while you rotate the bolt counterclockwise. A suggestion, if you drill and tap the hole to a larger size, make sure you either get a bolt with a head size of a wrench you carry or add a wrench in your toolkit to fit the new bolt head. If the vice grips don't work, drill into the bolt and use a tapout/screw remover.

Floridad......your first sentence is what I ended up applying.The bolt head and about 1-2mm of the threaded area then snapped!.....oh well,I then used a blunt punch and hammer....it then fell out?.I've never had much luck drilling / tapping any such instance,so,I'll either buy an aftermarket plate,attempt to rig up a way to use my old 650L plate OR just buy a new engine stay?.Thanks for all of the reply's. Improvise,adapt and over-come!.

You can buy a cheap metric tap set at harbor freight usually for under 10 bucks. if that is a 6mm bolt, go up to a 7 and tap it and you're done. you probably wouldn't even need to drill it out, although it is usually better to run a drill through the hole to clean it up. I just started restoring mine and the same bolt snapped so I had to take the piece off the frame, heat it and grab the bolt from behind with vise grips. But my skid plate is a rusty mess, so I am likely going to make my own skid plate. if I do, I will do a post on it. good luck.

Thank you Floridad!....if you have time,could you measure that skid plate bolt....Diameter x Pitch X Length in MM?....IF,you have time and pitch gauge that is?. TIA.

"Run a drill through it"...I'm power tool challenged / technique challenged.

mine is 6mm x 12mm long. It is the same thread pattern as all the other 6mm bolts on the TW, which I believe is a 1.0 pitch. everyone starts out power tool and technique challenged. I rebuilt my first bike (a 1965 honda 305 scrambler) with some cheap hand tools and a service manual by asking a lot of questions.

If you ride off road, its a good idea to acquire some basic tools and know how because riding out, even slowly, beats pushing it out any day. download the service manual and read it if you haven't done so. tapping a new bolt requires a drill, drill bit and a tap, which would be a lot cheaper than a different skid plate...or take the part off, there are 4 bolts and take it to a friend who had the tools and know how. tapping the new hole is a three minute job if you've done it before. maybe twice that if you haven't. good luck!

Good advice!....yes i have an assortment of tools...hand-power-etc....just not alot of experience using the power tools?.I'll find a metric tap and make the needed adjustments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links