What did i do?
Close

Thread: What did i do?

So getting ready for the sheetiron 150, i decided to put on my xt225 rear brake lever. hmmmm.

so i took off the old lever, and the "little pointy arrow washer thingy" i wasn't sure what that was, but i put it back where i found it with the xt225 lever. .... and i had brakes, but not until the pedal was pushed way down. so i readjusted the lever and now: no brakes, and the pedal gets stuck after stepping on it.

i searched on here and found the pointy thingy is a pad life indicator, but came up short on how to fix what wasn't broke, i also read the page in the service manual, but it wasn't really helpful. my brakes pads are ok.

what did i do, and then what do i do now?
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

The pad life indicator thingy doesn't physically do anything. Its just there to tell you how much brakes are left. Once you take off your rear arm and don't remember where the pointer went, the pointer becomes basically worthless. I don't judge my brake wear by the pointer, I just take off my wheel and physically look.

You may have to adjust the arm forward or backwards on the splines on the hub. Don't worry too much if it doesn't look like the old one.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Sounds like the rear brake arm may not be properly positioned. It may be too far forward. Here is what mine looks like.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

thanks rain and brian!

so i adjusted it back and i seem to have brakes and not rubbing.

that's the xt225 arm on installed on the left, and the tw200 on the right. it's just over and inch shorter.

brian your ttr225 arm looks longer than the xt225. i wonder if the bend allows the added length to be functional, meaning you can get the rod inserted and still pull at a good angle?

i can lock the rear wheel anyhow with less effort. now whether that is better....

i'm surprised by how small the contact patch looks in this skid.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Here is my stock brake arm (on top) compared to the TTR225 (on bottom). The TTR arm is significantly longer than the stock one. The brake rod works fine and still has plenty of adjustment range. My experience has been that it takes slightly more movement (or travel) of the brake lever and less force (or pressure) to lock up the rear tire. Better or worse, I don't know but I am used to it now.

What tire pressure are you running? I remember reading somewhere (and being surprised) that the rear contact patch on most sport bikes is only about the size of a quarter.

Sponosred Links