thicker oil?
Close

Thread: thicker oil?

Does anyone in the warmer climate states use 20-50 in the summer months?I just tried 20-50, but the temp outside was only 80,but as soon as I put it into gear the bike wanted to leap forward,I figured it was due to the thickness of the oil.I drove around for about 20 miles to get the bike at operating temp,and when I got home I shut it off,and when I restarted it and put it into gear again it leaped forward again.... I switched back to 10-40....My main reason for this change was I was thinking that the lower speed = less air = more heat.During the summer I ride alot of forest service trails and roads in 1st @ 2nd gear. Is the 10-40 the best year round oil?
    1994 TW

Had but regrettably sold a 1982 KZ1000R Eddie Lawson Replica

I've never had my bike start dragging the clutch just from an oil change. I'd check the freeplay in the cable. Also I run 20/50WT in Florida all year around.

Some riders have reported the clutch plates "sticking" and causing the condition you described when 20w-50 is used.I'd stick to what the manual advises on engine oil "weight'....I believe it is 10w-40.If your REALLY concerned about the engine in the hot condition you described...switch to a 10w-40 full synthetic......it's only one quart...concerning the cost!.The shifting benefits and the cooler running with synthetic is worth it IMO!.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    Some riders have reported the clutch plates "sticking" and causing the condition you described when 20w-50 is used.I'd stick to what the manual advises on engine oil "weight'....I believe it is 10w-40.If your REALLY concerned about the engine in the hot condition you described...switch to a 10w-40 full synthetic......it's only one quart...concerning the cost!.The shifting benefits and the cooler running with synthetic is worth it IMO!.

I agree!
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

I am as new as new comes here, but I just picked up some 20-50 to put in the TW tonight. Temps here during the day are running 100+. I will post back if I have any problems. I come from a long line of air cooled engine use HD, and I have always switched to heavier oil in the summers here in Yuma AZ. On my Harleys I run straight 50 dino in the summer and 20-50 synthetic once past break-in.

That said I will switch to all synthetic on the TW as soon as I get past the 600 mile mark, I have only 60 miles on the bike so far.

My clutch chattered coming into 1st from a stop with the oil that came in it. I swapped it out for 15w40 Shell Rotella diesel oil. I use that stuff in all of my old 4 stroke stuff so it's what I had on hand. No more clutch chatter and the bike seems to run like it should. You could check to see if your clutch needs to be tightened too. I can see -why- it'd lurch with thicker oil, but I also think you could overcome it by pulling in more on the clutch.

Obviously, don't adjust the clutch so tight it is slipping.
    1993 TW200

I suppose the HD calls for a viscosity of 50 for hot weather?.I believe (no manual in front of me)the TW calls for a viscosity of 40 or 10w-40.Folks need to do their own thang,one reason tool companies are in business!.....thank goodness!.

With the 2012 manual open to page 9-1, temperature range 50f to 110f recommended oil is yamalube 20 W 50. So it would seem that the tool makers ply thiier trade to assist in removing the incorrect oil and replace it with a lubricant suitable for a persons climate. As I type this temp here is 106 the summer is just beginning.

Maybe this recommendation only applies to the newer bikes, but for my bike it would seem I am correct, and yes Harley does recommend straight 50 for severe duty listed as parade, police, or operating in temperatures in exceeding 100 degrees.

Should have mentioned, after the change no clutch problems, but won't know for sure until in the morning when the oil is cool. If there is a problem then I will post back.

I usually run mobil one vtwin 20w50 synthetic in the summer and 10w40 mobil synthetic in the summer. But if its spring/summer and if it doesnt need changed yet i dont worry about it. I believe your clutch plates are just sticking a little. After you start the bike pull the clutch lever a few times before you put it in gear and see if that keeps it from jumping. My old tw would jump if i didnt do that. I really doubt its the oil weight, more like sticking plates. I ran everything from 5w40 rotella to 20w50 and it did it will all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Small's View Post
    I usually run mobil one vtwin 20w50 synthetic in the summer and 10w40 mobil synthetic in the summer. But if its spring/summer and if it doesnt need changed yet i dont worry about it. I believe your clutch plates are just sticking a little. After you start the bike pull the clutch lever a few times before you put it in gear and see if that keeps it from jumping. My old tw would jump if i didnt do that. I really doubt its the oil weight, more like sticking plates. I ran everything from 5w40 rotella to 20w50 and it did it will all of them.
    Thanx
    1994 TW

Had but regrettably sold a 1982 KZ1000R Eddie Lawson Replica

Sponosred Links