OIl cooler questions.
Close

I have been looking for an oil cooler since before I even bought my bike. I think I have found everything I need, but I have a few questions still that some of you probably know.

#1) How does it work? What pumps the oil "uphill" to the radiator part? Theres not really a pump and it does not seem like there is a whole lot of pressure in the engine, but im not sure ...

#2)How much more oil can you put in the motor? Do you fill it all the way up so it pumps into the cooler?

The TW motor does have an oil pump.

But the oil pump in our motors essentially only supplies FORCED oil to the cam bearings and rocker arms. The rest of the motor is almost totally either splash-oiled (piston skirt, piston pin, cylinder wall, etc.) or rotationally lubricated by "dipping" into oil stored in the crankcase ( Main bearings, connecting rod big end, transmission gears, timing chain, clutch).

Therefore a cooler is not interrupting a "main artery" as it would be on some automotive or motorcycle oil systems. Most of these circulate high-pressure oil (60-100+ PSI) forced through crankshaft and cam journals to babbit bearings with tight tolerances. Essentially they force oil through every moving part in the engine before returning it to the crankcase. Because the TW and many small engines use roller or ball bearings and splash oiling the TW pump puts out very little pressure because it is not needed. In fact it's usually less than 10psi at WOT.

The top end can only flow so much of the oil available from the pump at one time and the excess from the pump is bypassed to the crankcase on a continual basis.

Oil cooler covers designed to connect to a cooler reroute this bypass oil to a cooler on its way back to the crankcase.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    The TW motor does have an oil pump.

But the oil pump in our motors essentially only supplies FORCED oil to the cam bearings and rocker arms. The rest of the motor is almost totally either splash-oiled (piston skirt, piston pin, cylinder wall, etc.) or rotationally lubricated by "dipping" into oil stored in the crankcase ( Main bearings, connecting rod big end, transmission gears, timing chain, clutch).

Therefore a cooler is not interrupting a "main artery" as it would be on some automotive or motorcycle oil systems. Most of these circulate high-pressure oil (60-100+ PSI) forced through crankshaft and cam journals to babbit bearings with tight tolerances. Essentially they force oil through every moving part in the engine before returning it to the crankcase. Because the TW and many small engines use roller or ball bearings and splash oiling the TW pump puts out very little pressure because it is not needed. In fact it's usually less than 10psi at WOT.

The top end can only flow so much of the oil available from the pump at one time and the excess from the pump is bypassed to the crankcase on a continual basis.

Oil cooler covers designed to connect to a cooler reroute this bypass oil to a cooler on its way back to the crankcase.

Great explanation that even I can understand!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It's almost like that lizbrth guy knows something about oil coolers or tw's for that matter.

Yo-Russ when you coming north for a ride? 2nd half of sheet iron is next weekend.
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

ty ticked that I can't get up there for this one. Since you made the effort at Death Valley I figger it's my turn to do the traveling.

I may lead whatever miscreants I can gather on B to V run later, but that's about as far north as I can stray til later this summer.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    ty ticked that I can't get up there for this one. Since you made the effort at Death Valley I figger it's my turn to do the traveling.

I may lead whatever miscreants I can gather on B to V run later, but that's about as far north as I can stray til later this summer.

Give me as much notice as possible and I will try and make it. -Josh
    Not all men are capable of greatness, but all possess toughness.
    2001 TW a mod or two maybeHidden Content

Sponosred Links