gas everywhere
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RockyTFS

Thread: gas everywhere

So the bike seems to have a leaky petcock, I am getting a new one, and if i switch to reserve gas it seems to pour out the overflow, Any way the bike stinks of gas and hoping i don't catch fire, what to do with the overflow?

The bike seems to run ok, I seem to be replacing parts on this new to me bike once a week. when riding it seems ok gas is going where is should but sitting over night it leaks with gas off or on.
    two wheels for life!

Quote Originally Posted by belterskelter View Post
    So the bike seems to have a leaky petcock, I am getting a new one, and if i switch to reserve gas it seems to pour out the overflow, Any way the bike stinks of gas and hoping i don't catch fire, what to do with the overflow?

The bike seems to run ok, I seem to be replacing parts on this new to me bike once a week. when riding it seems ok gas is going where is should but sitting over night it leaks with gas off or on.
    I'm not sure where you are referring to as "the overflow". If it's down at the bottom of the carb, it usually means the float is stuck. I don't think I've seen a petcock go bad. In a recent service of my '94, I changed back to the stock tank- it had a Clarke on it- so I had to swap the petcock back over. There isn't much to the petcock itself. You didn't mention the year of your TW, but age does sometimes wear on things. OM
    "It's more fun going fast on a slow bike than going slow on a fast bike" UK

1994 TW200, 2009 F800GS loaded,

So the bike seems to have a leaky petcock, I am getting a new one, and if i switch to reserve gas it seems to pour out the overflow,...it seems ok gas is going where is should but sitting over night it leaks with gas off or on.
    Might be more than one problem.

Remove the fuel line from the carb and with the petcock off, see if any gas comes out of the line.

If no gas comes out, the petcock is OK.

The leak then is from a stuck float, or crud holding open the float valve.

Or...

the o-ring on the float valve is bad, and fuel is leaking around the float valve even when it is closed.

If that's the problem, you will need to remove the float:

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...buretor-float/

Jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I've had petcocks leak on me on nearly every bike I have owned. I usually spray them with silicone spray which penetrates past the metal parts down into the rubber gasket that seals things from leaking fuel and helps soften it up a bit. That's how I 'maintain' this gasket. Sometimes if they leak, they leak and the only fix is to replace the gasket.

New petcocks are cheap for this bike though, so I'd happily pay the 17.50 for a new one. (OEM, not generic.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-...210f01&vxp=mtr

What is probably going on here is that the rubber gasket that looks like a smiley face which lives behing the ON OFF RESERVE lever has microscopic cracks in it due to age OR it has deformations in the rubber because your petcock sat, unused, in either the ON or OFF position for several years when the previous owner did not ride it. I have had to replace these smiley face gasket in a lot of motorcycles. They're referred to as 'whizzer gaskets' and they go bad with age OR if people use gasoline with ethanol fuel in it. Ethanol fuel can ruin gaskets like this in a short amount of time.

My vote is to just purchase a new petcock or purchase the rubber gasket itself.

The yamaha dealer will ding you for $6.50

VALVE PACKING

3AC-24523-00-00

That is the part number for a 2010 bike.

VALVE PACKING

3AC-24523-00-00 (replaces 3AJ-24523-00-00)

^this is for a 1995 bike. So it looks like the valve is universal to all TW200 petcocks.
    1993 TW200

the bike is a 1990 so it is a bit old and things have been happening with it,eg bad riding skills =crashing, and the stator dies, now gas leaking, it will be a new bike by the time I am done!! I will check about the float valve

Thanks for the help every one!

R
    two wheels for life!

After coming back from my first offroad trip on the tdub, smelled petrol, and also found my carb to be dripping.

I am quite keen to pull the carb of and give it an overhaul. So now it seems I have an excuse.

I know there is a good tutorial on the forum which I will go through. I would also like to replace the missing run off pipe. Can anyone post a pic of what it's supposed to look like, and what size/length it is?

Any other advice before getting my hands dirty with this?

Tks

.....I will check about the float valve
    Since very few owners ever get this far inside the carb (once you read the instructions to remove the float you will know why), it is important to note that that little screen on top of the float valve can get clogged by crap that somehow gets by the petcock filter, and produces totally different symptoms, namely bogging at full throttle in higher gears.....so be sure you get it really clean under a bright light with high pressure air. It is a little known fact that SOME crap that clogs filters is nearly invisible. Please don't ask me how I know this....it was a near death experience involving raw fiberglass.
    2Oceans likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Sponosred Links