engine oil....
Close

Thread: engine oil....

I've tried searching the forum for engine oil info, but it wont allow searching three letter words (oil)...

I just want to know if I can use one of these (since they are already in my workshop, or if I need motorcycle specific oil.

Thanks.

I trust Rotella T over the Amsoil because the Amsoil might be 'gasoline car' oil with additives that'll make your clutch slip.

I'm pretty sure Rotella T will work fine in the TW as it's diesel oil (Used that stuff in my TDI VW.)

Given the prices on the jugs, I presume this stuff is over ten years old??

I'm running Rotella 15w40 in my TW and the clutch is fine. I use it because it's cheap and universal for all of my old air cooled motorcycles. I haven't had it not work in anything yet.

The worst that will happen is your clutch starts to slip and then you need to drain the oil and put something else in there to make it stop happening.

I like heavier weight oil in old machinery (or old fashioned machinery like this) which is why I'm using 15 weight.
    1993 TW200

Use motorcycle specific.....Amsoil sells it!.Also,use the "weight" specified in the manual....can't go wrong.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I used Rotella T6 in all my motorcycles. It's my understanding that T6 used to just be "T" before they made a variety of blends. T6 is full synthetic, and "T" was full synthetic.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

The good news is that a wide range of oil will work for you. I spent years paying too much for Kawachem and Yamalube (dino oils for motorcycles sold at retail shops.)

Then I switched to Rotella 15w40 diesel oil by the gallon from Wal*Mart or the local parts stores. And... No difference. My motorcycles run fine and have not lost power, had clutches slip, etc...

I qualify the statement by saying I'm using it in old, air-cooled stuff like 1970s Japanese bikes and my 1970s Vespa scooters.

When I had my 2007 sport bike, I ponied up for Mobil One synthetic motorcycle oil.

The worst that'll happen if you're close on weight 5 weight - 20 weight is that your clutch will slip or chatter. The fix is simply to put in the right oil the next time.

Don't do anything crazy like use 80w90 gear oil or a liter of turpentine and you'll be fine I've taken to calling my TW "Russian military surplus" because I think it just doesn't really care what you do to it.
    1993 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhtr
    Tracy, your link doesn't work.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Well... I got too impatient to wait for a lot of replies...

I dumped in the quart of Rotella T.

I'm sure it will be fine for the engine. If the clutch starts slipping, I'll report back.

I don't ride hard, so I might not even notice a slipping clutch anyway.

BTW, what is the expected clutch life on these things anyway? I know driving style and all, but are they 3,000 mile clutches, or 30,000?

Quote Originally Posted by vuldub View Post
    Tracy, your link doesn't work.

Ok try this one. or just search (OILS)

http://tw200forum.co...h__1#entry28760
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

The clutches are reported to last a long time. I think I saw someone say he had 40k miles on his bike with the original clutch plates. They're also cheap and easy to change out, so it's good news all around.
    1993 TW200

Sponosred Links