Engine wont run right!
Close

Sooo... I know my way around a carb for the most part and what needs to be spotless. Im 100% sure its clean. I lost my pod filter one day going for a longerish ride. It ran ok without it, so much i didnt even notice til i got home. So i ordered a filter, a bit smaller (4") uni, put it on, and went. It would not get to top speed. It would struggle about 2/3 throttle, like not enough air. So i reached down, pulled off the filter, and that cured it! From idle to full throttle it ran great. So i ordered the original one i had on, a 6". Now it runs for crap at 1/4 throttle and up, air filter or not. Cleaned the carb, changed the plug, idk. Its more of a rapid burping sound. Im kinda stumped. Any ideas?

Your old filter must have been better breathing? Are you running the factory 114 main jet?
    1993 TW200

No, ive got a 116 in there to help compensate for more air. Stock exhaust but with a bit of leakage from the missing bolt under the tip and some other holes. But it runs no different with the new filter on OR off. Im stumpped.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

possible avenues of investigation:

check your fuel height using clear tubing off of the bowl drain. Mine runs best at 8mm down from the lip of the bowl, regardless of setting float height by the book.

Then.. maybe fuel starvation. Blow backwards through your fuel line into the gas tank to clear it out.

Then, maybe ignition coil issues, kill switch(es) issues from the kick stand or maybe the clutch lever if it has one or the handlebar kill switch.

Just throwing that out there since I've dealt with two different kill switch issues in the past week at random on friend's bikes.

Otherwise, UNI pods flow just dandy and 116 isn't a big jump so the bike should run fine. Especially if it did before.

Check your valve lash though. In the off chance while your old filter was off some sort of debris got into the valves and messed up something.. Or pull a compression check to make sure you're up around 150 PSI if you have the testor to do so.

Otherwise, you have the straight pull, older TK carb right? Not the CV version from 2001+ ?
    1993 TW200

Sponosred Links