Baking brake pads
Close

I really messed up the pads on my CB900 with brake fluid...no amount of cleaning helped. I tried someone's "Crazy" idea of baking them in the oven and....wow! The brakes are as good as ever, probably even stronger than they've ever been seeing as the pads and rotor have never been cleaned so thoroughly.

My concern though is for the integrity of the pad itself. What bonds the actual brake pad to the metal plate? Would 20 minutes at 400 degrees risk damaging anything? They appear to be OK and did well during the test ride - but for the long term I really need an expert opinion. These are the front brakes too - I can't risk letting them fail.

The brakes are like-new, but if using them is risky I will replace them.
    2008 CRF230L

2006 CBR1000RR

2007 CB919 - 70k Miles and still runs like new!

* 2001 TW200 (Sold after 15k miles of fun)

Did brake cleaner not help at all? It's supposed to clean away dirt, rust, and brake fluid. I would soak them in CRC or your favorite brand of brake cleaner in a little tub for several minutes and then let them air dry.

In theory I bet they get a lot hotter than 400 degrees rolling down Pike's Peak or whatnot.

When in doubt get the credit card out... and buy new brakes

I have never had any drums or pads fail on me and I've owned and operated a lot of sketchy, old vehicles.

What I have had happen is when changing out brake pads, I was able to break the friction material right off of the backer plate by hand! I guess friction had just been holding it into place for who knows how long...

I have had mild luck spraying brake shoes soaked in oil (leaky axles on my Austin Healey Sprite) with carb cleaner and lighting them on fire and letting them burn themselves out over the course of 30 seconds or so. Oil is attracted to the hottest part and is spent as fuel. That's the theory any way. It seemed to work OK. Baking them in the oven might not actually get the oil out of the friction material. I'm not sure. If you ever spray something with carb or brake cleaner and then light it on fire, DO NOT BREATH THE FUMES. It can kill you.

I do know one thing.. it's no fun to drive a car with oil soaked brake drums
    1993 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sol View Post
    I really messed up the pads on my CB900 with brake fluid...no amount of cleaning helped. I tried someone's "Crazy" idea of baking them in the oven and....wow! The brakes are as good as ever, probably even stronger than they've ever been seeing as the pads and rotor have never been cleaned so thoroughly.

My concern though is for the integrity of the pad itself. What bonds the actual brake pad to the metal plate? Would 20 minutes at 400 degrees risk damaging anything? They appear to be OK and did well during the test ride - but for the long term I really need an expert opinion. These are the front brakes too - I can't risk letting them fail.

The brakes are like-new, but if using them is risky I will replace them.
    I can't say for sure whether the heat would ruin them but I understand that in an auto a panic stop from 60 to zero raises the themp on the rotors to about 900 degrees. I would use yours if it were my bike. But thats just the way I roll.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

In flat track racing by the end of the race, everyone's rear rotors are glowing bright orange I'm not sure how many races the brakes pads last, but it's a thing...

1993 TW200

Sponosred Links