Out of storage
Close

Thread: Out of storage

Just removed my '04 with about 4700 miles from winter storage after 7 months, and had done all the preparations last November such as fresh gas with Stabil added, fresh oil, running the carb dry etc...OK..It started right up and ran fine for about ten miles, then would not take throttle beyond a quarter turn..Figured the longer than usual storage ( I've been busy fixing up the house and the spring weather around here was dismal and I have an '87 TW that I ride as well...)had taken it's toll on the gas and gummed up the carb and/or the floats were sticking...So I limped home by pulling the choke open a bit and keeping the rpm's low and started to take the carb apart. (The excellent photos in the technical section of this forum are priceless.) As I turned the carb to remove the float I discovered that the Phillips head screws were stripped beyond use. After some cursing of the previous owner/mechanic I decided to knock the bowl a few times and see if some good old Seafoam in the tank would do the trick. After making sure the petcock was clean and the flow was normal, I drained the old gas and added the Seafoam to fresh gas, put things back together and sure enough, it started up easily and after a few stumbles cleared itself out and so far so good after another 25 miles. Moral of the story is that-Fortunately-sometimes the easy fix is all a TW needs and if all else seems normal, try that first. Next winter I'll put a little more stabilizer in and hopefully get things running earlier in the season!

Quote Originally Posted by Nozkoss View Post
    Just removed my '04 with about 4700 miles from winter storage after 7 months, and had done all the preparations last November such as fresh gas with Stabil added, fresh oil, running the carb dry etc...

If you are going to store your TW for that long, I'd recommend draining the tank (remove and hold upside down), running the carb dry, draining the float bowl, (maybe only a tiny bit left, but worth checking, then pull the spark plug and squirt a tablespoon or so of 30 wt. oil in the cylinder and crank by hand 2 revs. Don't turn it over until ready to remove from storage. Remove the battery and charge it once a month, or use a Battery Tender. This should be good for a year unless you're in a really humid environment.

I'd say your regimen is good for 4 months, IF you use non-ethanol gas. Otherwise, two months. Stabil doesn't really address the ethanol storage problem.

Oh, and get those Phillips out and replace with Allens.....might be easier now than five years from now.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Senior Member Leisure Time Larry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nozkoss View Post
    I discovered that the Phillips head screws were stripped beyond use

Yeah, that happens a lot because they ARE NOT phillips head screws...they are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) head screws. Similar, but a different profile. They are very easy to strip out when using a phillips head screwdriver. That is why a lot of dubbers change 'em out. Using the screwdriver from the onboard toolkit on any of the phillips looking head screws will save headaches.

That's good stuff from Rocky!
    - Leisure Time Larry -
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2004 TW200, 13-55 gearing, Shinko 241, Race Tech Emulators, Procycle front springs, Works Performance rear shock, Emgo handguards, Luckybike mirror risers, Ken Sean DS foldable mirrors, 30mm Tusk bar risers, Seat Concepts, Kick Starter kit, Plasti-dip camo coat, Cycle Pumps, Ricochet Skid Plate, flood and spot LED pod lights, Sena, Garmin etrex 20 GPS, IMS 313114 folding shifter

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I wonder if maybe the carb slide got hung up. That's usually what's going on with a CV carb if you have all the top end power of a moped.
    1993 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by lrppcer View Post
    Yeah, that happens a lot because they ARE NOT phillips head screws...they are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) head screws.

Oh yeah I forgot about the JIS..... I managed to get mine out with a Phillips, but it had those little grip ridges. I never thought of using the one from the tool kit!

So where the hell do you buy a JIS driver?
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    So where the hell do you buy a JIS driver?

http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tool...-products.html

http://www.vesseltools.com/hand-tool...e_sku.tpl.html

Thanks guys..yeah..I normally do not store for that long, and probably will put fresh gas in regardless in the future..Like Silver said probably the slide got hung up and the cleaner and a few good raps loosened things up...So far so good. Carburetors seem like a weak link on many bikes if for no other reason than that they often do not get run as much as cars so the gas has more opportunity to degrade. Do fuel injectors clog as readily if they are not used much? Would injectors lessen the storage problems if used more often on bikes??

Sponosred Links