Lost key help !
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Lost key help !

Hi all, believe me I know how this sounds, bad. I just bought a tw off Craigslist the owner had lost his keys for the bike, that's why it was priced cheap. It sounded like a stolen bike to me. But then after talking with the kid who owned it and his dad and him producing a clean title with there name on it I do believe it was not stolen. I wouldn't buy is if I thought otherwise.

Anyway I bought it $700 for a 95 tw200. It needs a speedo and of course a key. Key first as I can't get the gas tank open to remove old gas even. Before I go and drill out the cap and buy a new ingition switch. Do any of you have a better idea?
    Greg

I'd take it to a locksmith to get a key made.
    elime likes this.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

I will take a stab at this. I don't know if its possible but a locksmith or Yamaha dealer may be able to cross the vin to a key code, with proof of ownership of course. A dealer in New Mexico pulled this off when some dummy (me) left his keys to a Polaris UTV in Arizona. This guy saved a hunting trip for me. On my TW the key fits the ignition, gas cap, and helmet lock. I really like the one key fits all, and use the helmet lock quite a bit.
    elime likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It's not to hard to impression a key for it, most "older" locksmiths still remember how to do it. If there is a Yamaha dealer close by, you can see what they have for keys and match on up for you- they didn't make that many and are not real sophisticated. OM
    "It's more fun going fast on a slow bike than going slow on a fast bike" UK

1994 TW200, 2009 F800GS loaded,

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    I once needed a key for a Kawasaki Ninja 250 and could get absolutely no help from the local dealer. I went to a locksmith and he was able to look up the key code from the VIN on the computer and make me a key in all of about 4-5 min. for only a few dollars. Go to a locksmith with the title or registration with the VIN and see if he can help you if you can't get any help from the local Yamaha dealer.

If you received the Yamaha manual with the bike, the original owner may have recorded the key number in the manual allowing you to get the key from Mr. Yamaha.

Barring that, you should explore the key number via the VIN # through Mr. Yamaha.

Thirdly, I'd take the bike or the helmet lock to a lock smith and see if they could make you a key, but be sure they use the correct blank since many that look right are not. Does the key work before you leave the shop?

You will solve the problem, its just a matter of time, money and ingenuity. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

It's my understanding that the key code should be on the back of the helmet lock. You have to remove the helmet lock from the frame to read it. That's coming from Placerlode's comment at the end of this thread:

Keys

It's not super easy to even get your hands on blanks for these bikes.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

That Don Benito is a great piece of information. Thank you for reading diligently and remembering enough to tell the rest of us. Cheers. Tom
    Fred likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

This is what I'd do because I'm cheap:

I'd wait around and find a new ignition switch with a key on ebay. If I was impatient I'd buy a new one from the yamaha dealer.

If you can't do it, I'd have a locksmith pick the lock on the gas cap. It's a pretty simple tumbler lock and it'd probably take me about 5 minutes to pick it using some home made tools I have, so a locksmith should be able to do it.

Then once the cap is out, undo the two phillips screws and remove the locking mechanism (this is easy and self explainatory and reversible later.)

That way your gas cap is no longer a locking version.

If you're like me, then hotwire the bike. Unplug the ignition switch and rig up a toggle switch to turn on the bike that way, using the proper connectors and stuff (don't cut up the factory wiring.)

It's not worth investing hundreds of dollars with this problem since it has about a 25 dollar solution to pay someone to pick your gas cap lock and then rig up a 5 dollar key switch from an auto parts store in the mean time. (or toggle switch if you live somewhere people don't steal stuff.)
    1993 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    It's not super easy to even get your hands on blanks for these bikes.

yea most places don't carry them...see post #17 to get blanks...

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/5096-keys/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links