Intake valve lock nut MIA
Close

So I have a 2006 TW200, non-CA, with about 6700 miles. I adjusted the valves in to spec about 800 miles ago. Two days ago I took a short trip on it that involved doing 65-70mph for about 15 min at a time. Last night, I was riding for about 15 minutes when a loud ticking was heard. I removed the intake valve cover to find the lock nut was missing and the rocker arm was slapping the top of the valve. First my question is why did this happen and how do I prevent it from happening again? Second, I cannot find the lock nut. It is somewhere in the motor. I inspected the head thoroughly to no avail and drained the oil to find nothing. When I adjusted the valve tappet back closer, I turned the engine with no spark and it seems all noise was normal so I think I saved it from any damage, I just need that nut out. How do you guys recommend moving forward with this? I appreciate the help and I'm ready to get the baby running again! Thanks again!

Kyle

EDIT: After replacing the tappet and lock nut what else needs to be replaced? The rocker arm looks in great shape though I can see where it donated a small amount of material to the valve stem/retainer area.
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

You need to find it. Sometimes you get lucky. Remove the left sidecover first, then go from there.

It came loose cuz you didnt torque it down enough.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Same thing happened to me. I found it in one of the oil passages from the head down to the cylinder. I basically fished around with a magnet attached to some wire until I caught it.
    2005 TW200, 2" PowerMadd bar riser, Tusk D-Flex Hand Guards, PowerMadd Hand Muffs, Kick-Start, Valco Cup Holder, Givi E45N Top Case, Inline fuel filter, Storage Tube with MSR bottle, 45 Tooth sprocket, Stebel Low Tone horn, #130 Main Jet / no needle shims / 1.5 turns out on idle, Jimbo Shield, DID O-Ring chain, Clarke XT250 4.1 Gal tank, Custom Cycleracks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    You need to find it. Sometimes you get lucky. Remove the left sidecover first, then go from there.

It came loose cuz you didnt torque it down enough.
    Really? Even after 800 miles?? I did a lot of high revving on trails and the occasional WOT jaunts since then... I can't imagine it took that long.

Quote Originally Posted by atleastbehandy View Post
    Same thing happened to me. I found it in one of the oil passages from the head down to the cylinder. I basically fished around with a magnet attached to some wire until I caught it.

I think I'm gonna use this as as excuse to do the base gasket finally. I really think it's in the head. No reasoning behind it, just a hunch
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

For prevention of the above happening,is it acceptable to use Locktite or even a product like Hondabond or Yamaha's equivilant on the screw threads?. TIA.

Possibly. But I doubt that it would have much effect for very long due to the heat. Best plan is to torque properly.

And if you can't be bothered with "properly" the correct amount of torque is "tighter than last time".

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links