grr! 7 - 8 volts...
Close

grr! 7 - 8 volts...

So took out the battery and started the tw with a jump and used a multimeter to check the voltage At the battery cables... It is putting out between 7 - 8 volts!

So what now? Replace the generator? All of it? parts of it? Whole thing is like $500 from bikebandit. That is a third of the price of the whole bike!?! What have others done in this situation... Thoughts please...

I would suspect a bad battery before replacing a bunch of expensive parts.

Charge the battery with a 1 to 2 amp charger. See if it will charge to ~13 volts.

Then take it to a local auto parts store and have them do a load test on it (Auto Zone tests batteries for free).

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

OK... charged battery fully and got it to 12.7... good enough?

Tested stator and seems that omhs are high (26.7) but matching across all 3 wires so I assume it is fine. None of them are gounding out either. Seemed to have good voltage when running across all 3 wires as well.

Tested the rectifier and it seems the ground side is bust across one of the 3 diodes... so I'm thinking it is that. Positive side all 3 are fine.

Next question... is the bike really a five wire stator... 3 yellow/white 1 red and 1 black? I was looking at these Shindengen FH020AA Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier as a replacement... but not sure they would work. If not, does anyone have a good suggestion for a replacement rectifier?

Thanks!

Sponosred Links