bike ticking after I did an oil change on it.....
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bike ticking after I did an oil change on it.....

Hello. I performed an oil change on my tw200 yesterday and today I took it for a ride and noticed odd ticking. It was not there before doing the oil change. I usually take my bike to our local honda shop for my tune ups, oil changes etc...and they use Honda oil on my bike. So, I used the same this time. Any ideas or suggestions on why or where the ticking is coming from? thanks.

What type ? 10/40w maybe...... Did you change the filter ? If so did it have 4 holes in the end that goes toward the motor........ Also did you bleed the bolt on the upper back right side ???? < that is important................... Make sure oil is coming out of that hole !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMM.

Hi. Yes, the oil was 10/40 and I did change the filter. It does have the 4 holes in the filter, towards the motor. I did check the bolt (left of the spark plug) and started the bike....a little oil did come out. This is my first oil change...so I'm not sure if I did everything right. How long do I let the oil bleed thru the bolt? thanks,

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm wondering if I put too much oil in. the screen is completely full. I put a quart and 1/2 in....... actually when the bike is cool, it is about 3/4....when it's warm its completely full....which do I go by

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I'm wondering if I put too much oil in. the screen is completely full. I put a quart and 1/2 in....... actually when the bike is cool, it is about 3/4....when it's warm its completely full....which do I go by
    1.16 quarts with a filter change according to the owners manual stickied in the Technical Help forum. I usually check the oil when the bike is cool, as heat will cause the oil to expand, giving a false reading. With the bike vertical the oil should be even with the top line next to the sight gauge. When I check that oil is present in the head I usually unscrew the little screw all the way while the bike is running and make a mess. To me that is preferable to guessing if that is residual oil or actual oil under pressure without removing the screw. There should be a lot of oil come out if the screw is unscrewed completely and removed from the hole, even briefly. I'm sure that you're more talented than I, and can do it without making a mess. Place a rag under the hole, and be quick on the kill switch if things don't work out the way you planned.
    My handle is B-dub, I ride a T-dub, and drive a V-dub.

Yes,too much oil.I believe the manual adivses for the oil in the sight glass to be between the lower and upper mark....when the bike is cold. "Usually",after an oil change and filter cleaning one quart will have the oli between the lower and upper marks on the sight glass.....the .16 comes out to be an additional 5.12 OUNCES. So if a person is freeking out about "just" putting one quart in the bike,go ahead and add two more ounces or so.....one and a half quarts is way too much oil.On the oil supply bolt that shows you if you are getting oil to the head.......I usually do not have to completely remove the bolt before oil starts coming out!....FYI. Drain some oil out until the oil is between the lower and upper marks.

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    Quote Originally Posted by B-dub View Post
    With the bike vertical
    It's very important that the bike is straight up and down and not leaning over on the kick stand when you are checking the oil level. One quart usually is enough to put it in the safe range range with the filter being removed.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Ok, I will drain some oil and see what happens.....but first, lol I need to charge the battery cuz i left the key on when checking the oil leak with the bolt lol

Ok, so I drained some out. The ticking noise is still there...I hope I didn't damage anything by adding too much oil......yikes.

What is the worst thing that could happen???? I changed the oil yesterday.......went for a 15 minute ride at the most today...heard the ticking......came home and that is when I posted on here. So, in that amount of time, what damage do you think I've done to cause the ticking noise? thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links