TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

HELP ! bought a ' 04 been parked for 5 years , 152 miles on it , looks brand new but of course not starting , what now ?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jbfla 
#1 ·
Man bought it for his son new in 2004 . Rode 152 miles. Parked it in garage under cover for 5 years . Today i bought it . doesn't run of course . Very dry climate here in northen New Mexico , looks brand new . whats my procedure to bring this darling back to life . thanks for any advice .

#2 ·
First thing is to take off the gas tank and drain it. youll probably have to clean it real well to get all the gummed up fuel out. ( on mine i bought a gallon of carb cleaner and let it set a few days on each side) (side note take out petcock and use something to seal that as well as the gas cap, the carb cleaner will eat the rubber gaskets quick) next youll probably have to either buy a new petcock or spend time cleaning it (probably gummed up and a new one is like 12 bucks) next spray out the gas lines or replace if needed. next is the biggest one tear down the carb and clean thoroughly. there is a maintenance manual somewhere on this site you can download for step by step tear down of the carb. check/replace spark plug. change oil and filter. re-oil air element and make sure there are no rat nests in the air box/hoses. that should about cover it.... an if you are wondering i inherited a 91 that sat for 10 yrs so ive been through it ( i had to just replace my carb though) hope that helps

#3 ·
The carb disassembly procedure is in the 01 and newer supplement, pages 32-39:

http://www.mediafire.com/?8zubjzjyioj

If you are nervous about trying to clean the carb, ask how much it would be at a local motorcycle shop. The 2 Yamaha dealers I asked at, said it would be $70. plus any parts necessary, most likely just a bowl gasket.

You may also need a battery if yours doesn't hold a charge. See this thread:

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/245-battery/

jb

#4 ·
Thanks so much for getting me started . it all makes such good sense . it felt a little risky buying a bike that won't start and sat for so long. my confidence is better after hearing from you guys. i have a garage to do the work and will start with your list soon. thanks again

#7 ·
I frequently move towards 'the lazy mans way'. Recently purchased a Honda XR200 as a 2ed bike. The previous owner had indicated that he and his Son had not had a chance to ride much ( I purchased Dads bike). The first two rides with my Buddy (on the Honda) went fine. My next effort was to ride the Honda myself. Try as I might, could not get that rig started and I ran out of energy kicking. After a brief rest, took the carb apart and it was full of crude.

The long and the short is; The quick way may get it running in your drive-way, but should you let it get cold after bouncing around on the trail, I might suggest you have a tow-rope and lots of time.

Crap in the carb leaves lots of potential for a long wait on the side of a trail. In my opinion........ Gerry

#10 ·
Other than stuff mentioned in previous replies...

Change the oil. It's nasty and needs to go - don't use synthetic... clutch is still too "new".

Fill tires to pressure, check them in a couple days. If they aren't holding pressure, it's likely the rubber is cracked or rotted. Replace the inner tubes.

Lube chain.

Check front fork seals. Oil on tubes = replace seals.

Run Seafoam through the gas once you get it running... no matter who cleans the carbs, there are passages that will have crud in them.

Enjoy... You totally scored!

#11 ·
I don't think i'd dive right in to ripping the bike apart. The original owner may have stored the bike properly. You may just get lucky.

First, pull the battery, fill the cells with clean water, and place on a charger.

Second, air the tires.

Third, change the oil. Don't worry about the filter because you're going to change the oil again right after you get it running.

Fourth, pull the hose loose from the carb to drain the tank. Make sure fuel flows in both the "ON" and "RES" positions, and does not flow in "OFF". I'd start to drain the tank into a clear glass container to check for contamination. When you think the tank is empty, close the petcock and lay the bike way over to the left to dump that little bit of gas that gets trapped on the right side. Drain that little bit out.

Fifth, put in a half gallon or so of gas and hook up the fuel line.

Sixth, open the carb drain over a clean white rag, then turn the gas on. Check for crude coming out of the carb drain. Close the drain.

Seventh, reinstall the battery.

Eigth, crank that mother up. If you are lucky, she'll fire up and be good to go. If not, you can commence with the trouble shooting and repairs.

Once she is running I highly recommend doing a complete tune and service, including lubricating the cables, control lever pivots, and swingarm, checking the valves and timing chain, and cleaning the air filter. After your first ride do an oil and filter change.

Notice I did not mention lubing or adjusting the chain. Replace the crappy stock chain before it ruins the sprockets.

#12 ·
I don't think I'd dive right in to ripping the bike apart. ...
Qwerty's right... as usual.

There's a good chance you can get it started without taking anything apart. Try all the other suggestions first.

jb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.