Carburtetor hesitation
Close

Greetings,

I am working on a 1996 TW200 and have been thru the carb several times. The bike will idle and rev up if gently rolling on the throttle, BUT if you snap the throttle open, it dies! I know this carb does not have an accelerator pump, but if id t did, it acts like it is not working. I have a new square ring on order for the main jet assembly because the old one was brittle and cracked. Any ideas of what would cause this biek to up and dies if the throttle is snap open? If you snap it open and then close it real fast, it will pick back up and run.

Thanks,

Alf

Since you say you've been through the carb several times, try loosening your gas cap and see if the problem goes away. Gas cap vents can clog causing fuel starvation.

Check your ACTUAL float level using the clear tube method rather than the manual's 1.2" static setting.

It's a PITA, but my TW's with the older carb starve at the recomended settings.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Since you say you've been through the carb several times, try loosening your gas cap and see if the problem goes away. Gas cap vents can clog causing fuel starvation.

Check your ACTUAL float level using the clear tube method rather than the manual's 1.2" static setting.

It's a PITA, but my TW's with the older carb starve at the recomended settings.

I have the fuel level at the recommended 7.5 - 8.5mm below the carb base. It idles great and runs well, UNTIL you snap the throttle open.

Alf

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Alfdude View Post
    I have the fuel level at the recommended 7.5 - 8.5mm below the carb base. It idles great and runs well, UNTIL you snap the throttle open.

Alf

My 2008 started doing the same thing for a while. I ran some sea foam through her and she started running great after approx half a tank of gas. My guess would be the holes in the jets are getting dirty, or the brass material itself is wearing. I believe elime posted a thread a while back about that, and posted some really good up close micro photos of it.

All I know is the sea foam worked for me (and I thought my carb was sqeaky clean too)

Hope this helps.

An engine that simply dies when the throttle is whacked is running lean. Try opening the pilot screw. Check for vacuum leaks.

Sponosred Links