LED / HID Lighting
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: LED / HID Lighting

I ride at night frequently and would like to increase my ability to see and be seen. I would like to know if anyone has experience installing LED turn signals and/or brake lights and what I would need to install a set on my bike. Do I need to modify my electrical system? or is it just plug and play? I see many LED turn signal kits available, so any tips on what I should be looking for or trying to avoid would be greatly appreciated!

Also has anyone installed a HID headlight on one of these bikes? Any thoughts on the feasibility of this?

Thanks for your time.

-Tony

Tdub is all LED/HID, even the gauge and indicator lights. I bought the LEDs from superbrightleds.com and the HID off ebay.

I tried the 90* 1156 and 1157 replacements in the turns, but vibration killed the 1156s in just a few miles. I switched to the flat 36LED panels and glued them into the housings with a bit of silicon glue. The 1157s are still good. I have the 5W Luxeon in the tail light. Get the brightest bulb you can for the brake/tail. The Luxeon is brighter than stock. The multi-LEd indicator bulbs are too bright. Use the cheaper single LED versions.

The only change I made other than bulbs is a flasher for LEDs. Just carry the old one into any auto parts store and ask for an electronic replacement that is not load sensitive.

The HID is half a bi-xenon kit, for a car or truck, the other half of the kit is on my CB550.

Thanks for the info!

So was there any mounting issues you had when installing the HID headlight?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Henrici View Post
    Thanks for the info!

So was there any mounting issues you had when installing the HID headlight?

Not on the TW. The HIDs I used were a conversion kit for H4 bulbs. The 2001 and newer TWs already have an H4 bulb, so it was pretty much as easy as replacing the stock bulb. Wiring a headlight relay for the transformer through a rocker switch mounted on the handlebars wasn't too difficult.

On the CB, I bought an H4 conversion headlight bulb to fit the stock headlight housing. Wiring was the same as the TW.

The current Motorcycle Consumer News magazine likes these small, LED based, off-road driving lights--- a little pricey, but they supposedly have very little current draw, a big light output, and are designed to stand up to the rigors of off-roading (including waterproof, metal construction). Details and videos are here : http://www.twistedth...oductview/5224/

They are adapted specifically for cycle mounting from the Solstice brand's Vision X LED off-road lights (which at about $120 per light, plus the mountings/switches/wiring pretty much equals the Twisted Throttle Denali light kit): http://scripts.twist...rticle/view/312

A univeral mounting kit is included, and bike specific ones are available (I didn't see a TW listed). MCN sucessfully mounted some to the front reflector mounting points on a DR650, so that would be one possiblility for TWs, as are turn signal mounting points.

Corey
    two 2009 TWs, Ricochet skidplates, Moose Racing 'Expedition' rack (like a Borrega), DID 428V O-ring chains, DMoto2 -style black steel footpegs from eBay

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Not on the TW. The HIDs I used were a conversion kit for H4 bulbs. The 2001 and newer TWs already have an H4 bulb, so it was pretty much as easy as replacing the stock bulb. Wiring a headlight relay for the transformer through a rocker switch mounted on the handlebars wasn't too difficult.

On the CB, I bought an H4 conversion headlight bulb to fit the stock headlight housing. Wiring was the same as the TW.

wow that's great I think I'm gonna start off with the hid....

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    The current Motorcycle Consumer News magazine likes these small, LED based, off-road driving lights--- a little pricey, but they supposedly have very little current draw, a big light output, and are designed to stand up to the rigors of off-roading (including waterproof, metal construction). Details and videos are here : http://www.twistedth...oductview/5224/

They are adapted specifically for cycle mounting from the Solstice brand's Vision X LED off-road lights (which at about $120 per light, plus the mountings/switches/wiring pretty much equals the Twisted Throttle Denali light kit): http://scripts.twist...rticle/view/312

A univeral mounting kit is included, and bike specific ones are available (I didn't see a TW listed). MCN sucessfully mounted some to the front reflector mounting points on a DR650, so that would be one possiblility for TWs, as are turn signal mounting points.

Corey
    Thanks those lights look pretty sweet.

Stupid high prices.

yeah I think I'm gonna start with the HID and see how that one works... Those lights do look like they would be pretty cool tho. Probably wouldn't consider picking a set up unless you could get them for under $100....

Do not install an HID in the stock TW200 light housing. It's dangerous for oncoming vetches and is illegal. a 35W HID is going to be 2-3x the brightness of the stock bulb. HID light behaves differently and needs special optics in order to be safe for road use.
    txarsoncop likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links