cam chain slipping
Close

Hi there, i wonder if someone could offer some help. I changed the base and head gaskets on my 89 tw. I didnt mess with the cylinder, bore or rings because all looked very good. When i put it all back together and tried to start it, it was like there wasnt enough compression - the kick lever didnt feel stiff enough. So i looked at the timing chain and it was out - it was also turning freely without the crank turning. Im pretty sure it was off the bottom sproket, so i manually got it back on to where it turned with the crank. I put it back to the correct position as per my marks on the cam sproket and the chain, and turned the crank with a socket. As i turned the crank, the timing chain got very tight then it slipped quite a bit, this happened every time i rotated the crank until the crank wouldnt turn anymore.

Can anyone give me some idea where i might have gone wrong?

I dont have the tools required to pull off the magnito so if that is required I will need to go to the shop (with tail btwn legs)

When you put the head back on,did you reset the cam chain tensioner?

Phelonius
    Phelonius

Clearly something in my timing was not exact as on further investigation the rocker arm snapped so im guessing there is also a bent valve.

Now I have the head off, any suggestions as to how i undo the cam bolt?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hi Kiwi,

I don't remember having any problems getting the cam sprocket bolt off. You just have to immobilize the sprocket and loosen the bolt. Under the sprocket should be a retaining bracket held down by a couple of bolts. This will allow the whole cam to be bumped out when it is removed. I remember screwing the sprocket bolt back in and somehow using that for an anchor point to bump out the cam assembly. Just keep an eye out for the rockers not blocking the cam lobes when you are extracting the cam. It should come out fairly easily. Also when you install the cam again the coller needs to be lined up to match the tongue in the holddown bracket. Hope this helps. P.S. This Parts listing should help get an idea of how things go together: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

Dave

Sponosred Links