Sputtering on washboard and large bumps
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sputtering on washboard and large bumps

My bike runs great. Its a little hard to start with the electric starter but starts on the first kick. Anyways, my bike sputters and loses power when I go over washboarded or hard rock-packed roads and large bumps. It loses power and then after the washboard area it comes back to life again. I know that there could be a million possible causes, but I was curious if anyone could shed some light on the subject. I know that its NOT my kick stand switch. I have good gas in it and all my fuel connections are tight. I have read about the gas cap vent. Does anyone actually know where it vents from? I do have a tank bag strapped tightly to my tank and it covers the cap. Could this be the problem? The weather hasn't allowed me to go out and test it without the bag yet. Thanks.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Just loosen the cap and ride it. If the problem goes away your vent is clogged.

As you said, this could be a lot of things, but since you say it only happens on washboard roads I'd take a look at wiring first. Loose connectors, bare or broken wires, particularly near where they enter the left side cover and where they pass through the frame before going under the seat, and all the CDI connectors under the right panel.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Might want to look under the tank at the coil connections as well. Just for maintenance I'm slowly taking all my electrical connections apart, shining them up with sandpaper or a file, coating them with a bit of Vaseline or dielectric grease, and then making sure they go tightly back together.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My guess is that it is not the gas cap vent. If it were, your bike would not start running good again after the bumps. When you open the gas cap, you would hear a whoosh as the air rushes into the tank.

Possible cause: most likely, loose connection, intermittent electrical/ignition problem caused by the bumps.

Less likely,... a fuel problem. The main jet may not pick up fuel from the float bowl due to a low fuel level, dirt in the bottom of the bowl, and sloshing around of fuel due to the bumps. I am skeptical that all these conditions would happen every single time you hit the washboards but it's a possibility.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

I used to have that problem on two stroke twins about 40 years ago. I thought maybe better carbs had eliminated it.

Phelonius
    Phelonius

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking loose connections as well. I'll dig into it when I get some time. Any further help would be appreciated.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking loose connections as well. I'll dig into it when I get some time. Any further help would be appreciated.

I went for a ride today on a really bumpy, tree root, pot holed type road. After I hit several large bumps the bike died and coasted to a stop. I tried to start it and it just kept cranking. I had gas, spark, etc.

I opened the gas tank and got the whooosh sound! Started right up. I'm thinking the warm day, and all the bumping caused the gas tank to swell a little or the vent got clogged. either way, removing the cap fixed it.

So I guess you are saying your gas tank sucks?

Why do you suppose the malady manifests itself when going over bumps?

Phelonius
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by phelonius View Post
    So I guess you are saying your gas tank sucks?

Why do you suppose the malady manifests itself when going over bumps?

Phelonius

no comment

This is not a lewd joke, but are you sure your tank was sucking and not blowing? As I read your 'problem' the symptoms reminded me of how my Dunebuggy acted when I had the floats on carbs adjusted to high. Now, should the fuel be under the slightest amount of pressure, the situation would be even worse as fuel may be 'pushed' pass a partially seated needle. Just a thought cause the buggy (VW) ran very rough (flooding) when on rought surfaces until I (yet again) reset the float height. I have since read that the Weber ICT's were very sensitive. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links