My bike won't start
Close

Let it sit for 4-5 months without starting it with the fuel turned on (stupid mistake). Charged the battery... no luck.

The gas had fuel stabilizer in it, so the gas is fine. If I pull out the spark plug and throw a splash of gas into the cylinder it will fire for a few seconds then die. I opened up the carb and replaced the jets with slightly larger ones, because I wanted to do that anyway. I also cleaned and sprayed out every bit of the carb and even removed the diaphragm, needle and slide. There was a fair amount of what I would guess is aluminum dust that I cleaned out. I put the carb back together and reconnected everything and same thing... it doesn't start. Motor turns over fine but never fires.

I opened up the carb again after trying to start it and the float bowl was completely dry. What could be the problem?

Hi Jason,

Gas should flow into your float bowl by gravity. if not, you are going to have to do some detective work like seeing if gas will flow out of the hose that connects from the tank to the carb input, etc..

Maybe you have a blocked hose or a clogged tank valve. Also, check other positions on the valve- you might think you have it turned on but it is really off? Just a thought.

Dave

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I thought that the float bowl should be full just by gravity if the gas is turned on... The petcock and tube from the gas tank definitly works just fine, so its gotta be something in the carb.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you are troubleshooting the carb check to see if the main valve isn't stuck up in the orifice. That will keep gas from flowing into the bowl. It should be a straight shot from the hose inlet to the valve that fills up the bowl. Check the tip of the valve to make sure it isn't damaged. Sometimes they have rubber tips and I've seen metal tips that are scored from the valve opening. You could hook up the hose to the carb (off the engine) and leave the bowl off to see if you get any gas flow into that area. Wear mechanics latex/rubber gloves, don't smoke and try not to breath the stuff while you are doing this, of course- no need to poison yourself or get a Darwin Award for injuring yourself.

Dave

If fuel will flow from the hose when it is pulled from the carb, but won't flow into the float bowl, something is stopped up. This is a simple gravity feed system. Either you didn't get all the gunk out of the passage from the pipe nipple where the hose plugs on to the needle valve or your needle valve is stuck or held closed for some reason. That's all it can be if fuel will flow from the hose when it is disconnected from the carb.

Sponosred Links