Problem finding replacement mirrors
Close

I bought my '91 a few weeks ago and it's missing both mirrors so I ordered a set of univeral Emgo mirrors and a set of mirror adapters for a Yamaha. The mirrors are male 10mm standard thread. The bike has female 10mm reverse thread. The adaptors are correct with a standard and reverse male 10mm thread for the mirror mounts but the opposite end is 8mm male. Do I need an additional adaptor for the 8mm to 10mm or is there an easier way to do this? Kind of frustrated.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jemo View Post
    I bought my '91 a few weeks ago and it's missing both mirrors so I ordered a set of univeral Emgo mirrors and a set of mirror adapters for a Yamaha. The mirrors are male 10mm standard thread. The bike has female 10mm reverse thread. The adaptors are correct with a standard and reverse male 10mm thread for the mirror mounts but the opposite end is 8mm male. Do I need an additional adaptor for the 8mm to 10mm or is there an easier way to do this? Kind of frustrated.

Jeff

My local Yammy dealer had the correct, no adapter needed mirrors for like $15 each.

My local dealer had them for like $30 each, $15 is a deal! I found a great seller on eBay, but they are in Taiwan and the delivery took ~3 weeks. Very nice mirrors for like $25-30/pair shipped though.

However, I thought all the Yam's had 8mm thread for the mirrors? You sure you have the right mirror clamps? Whatever, you would just need different adaptors or different mirrors. If you get another adaptor that's kind of redundant. Order the correct type of adaptor for the mirror (10mm standard -> 10mm reverse, it sounds like), and sell/return the other adaptors. I'm assuming you mean the male part of the adaptor is 8mm where your bike's female slot is 10mm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

the 91 TW has 10mm and the right side is reverse thread and the left is regular.

these are the ones i got

My link

thats for the left

My link

and this is the right mirror

they screw right in to stock points and have alot more adjustability than stock and look just as good. I love mine!

Emgo makes several styles of mirrors with the correct threads for the TW. I run these: http://www.bikebandit.com/emgo-yamah...acement-mirror

Have you seen the "bug eyes" mirrors-they mount on your helmet. I'm so doggone sick of looking into a shaking mirror that I'm going to order mine today.

Keep in mind maybe some mirror extenders. They kick your mirrors up and out a couple of inches. If you have to squeeze your shoulders in while riding to see behind you, these could be your answer. I put mine in with some medium power loctite. If your mirror comes loose on a ride the extender makes it easier to tighten back down. Make sure you get one with the reverse thread

Link to old forum about it.

Extender Link

I second purchasing a set of mirror riser/extenders. I purchased a set of them since all I was able to see out of my stock mirrors were my arms. Here's my thread with pictures, so you can get an idea of what they will look like on the bike.

Also, I have seen our OEM mirrors pop up on eBay from time to time, so you may want to check that out from time to time. Here's a set on eBay now pretty cheap

Or these OEM ones

Dan
    2009 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha Virago 1100

I used fold down mirrors that i ordered off of dennis kirk.com these were perfect since you can fold them down to your handle bars when you need to ride through close quarter terrain, they sell in the 10 mm size and also sell the reverse thread for the right side

I got the dualsport fold-down mirrors from Dennis Kirk too. They are very high and wide for a good view. But I never had the stock mirrors (or the stock handlebars either, for that matter) to compare.
    Youth is wasted on the young.

Sponosred Links