Engine randomly dies
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    About a month ago, I bought this 1989 TW 200 with only 5000 miles on the clock. At 22 years old, she still looks new. Paint and plastic in perfect condition as well as the original tires. Obviously she has been garaged her entire life. I have only put 500 miles on her since I brought her home, but she has quit on me on several occasions. I have to let the engine come to a complete stop before she will restart, but she always does leaving me thinking that I bumped the kill switch, kickstand, or whatever. So far, that doesn't look to be the case. My first instincts are that it is probably a coil opening or maybe the cdi. If it wasn't so random, it would be easy to find. It also seems to choose really inconvient times like when I am in the middle of an intersection waiting to make a left turn, or traveling down the fast lane of loop 303. If any of you have had a bike that gave you these symptoms and you were able to solve it, I would really appreciate knowing what you found. TIA, Lanny

Quote Originally Posted by biglefti View Post
    About a month ago, I bought this 1989 TW 200 with only 5000 miles on the clock. At 22 years old, she still looks new. Paint and plastic in perfect condition as well as the original tires. Obviously she has been garaged her entire life. I have only put 500 miles on her since I brought her home, but she has quit on me on several occasions. I have to let the engine come to a complete stop before she will restart, but she always does leaving me thinking that I bumped the kill switch, kickstand, or whatever. So far, that doesn't look to be the case. My first instincts are that it is probably a coil opening or maybe the cdi. If it wasn't so random, it would be easy to find. It also seems to choose really inconvient times like when I am in the middle of an intersection waiting to make a left turn, or traveling down the fast lane of loop 303. If any of you have had a bike that gave you these symptoms and you were able to solve it, I would really appreciate knowing what you found. TIA, Lanny

Check as follows:

check gas cap vent for vapor type lock

check battery connections (I've had a bolt bail on me and had same type of symptoms)

run 2 oz of seafoam through full tank of gas (gas may not be getting through jets)

replace spark plug, check wires, coil etc.

check cdi unit (older bikes had weak electrics

Let us know what you find.

good luck

You'll want to narrow it down to gas or spark first.

I use an inductive timing light connected to a battery tender plug to check for mystery intermittent issues. Connect it, then ride it with the light activated by a rubber band on the trigger. When the bike fails watch the light to see if it fires as the bike rolls to a stop in gear. No light=spark issue, light=fuel issue. Quickest way I've found to narrow it down.

Barring that you'll have to do it the hard way. Check flow from the petcock. Shine a light in the tank and see if the standoff filters are varnished or clogged. With the fuel cap in place, drain the tank and see if it "glugs" as it empties, indicating a clogged fuel cap vent. You can also loosen the cap if the bike quits on a straightaway and see if it restarts as it's rolling in gear. Check your float height and make sure your needle isn't sticking.

Then it's on to inspecting the electricals, starting with all the connectors. Disconnect, clean and reconnect every flippin one of them with dielectric grease, then run resistence checks on all the components per the manual. Check for broken wires where they enter the left side cover before condemning any of the CDI parts based on resistence or opens.

This stuff is no fun, but sometimes you find the problem early in the process. Good luck.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The clutch safety switch circuit could be the culprit here also.

I know that doesn't sound right but it has to do with the relay in that circuit. actually that relay handles all the safety switches i believe.

In one position it gets 0-volts and allows the starter to be activated as well as the ignition circuit. In the opposite position it gets lets say 12 volts and allows the ignition circuit only or vise versa i'm not sure exactly. but if it is getting oh say 6 volts then the thing allows neither. This problem shows up mostly when going over bumpy roads and the clutch handle is vibrating against that switch but could happen if you had a weak connection some where in that circuit or if the relay is bad. I think there is a previous post about that relay.

If the problem persists next time the engine dies activate the clutch while you are coasting if the engine springs back to life that might be an indication that the switch is the culprit.

Im not sure you can test the relay except by replacing it so check the connections to it and all the safety switches first. Then look for that post about that relay.

That relay post is titled ELECTRIC START NOT WORKING TEST THIS.

Members above have given you lots of good advice.

Next time the engine dies-make sure you can pull the spark plug and check to see if you have spark. If you do have spark most likely you have some sort of a fuel problem. My first suspicions would lean toward a fuel/air issue(s).

Good Luck

Mike
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

Folks its a 20 year old bike that has been sitting! SEAFOAM the bejesus out of it first!

Cheapest and easiest attempt to fix it without doing anything else.

My moneys on Clogged Jets.

Whatever it turns out to be, please let us know. There are several posts in this forum relating to the engine not starting, stopping, etc that are odd.

Me thinks the engineers have designed the ignition circuit in a way that, at least I, am not accustomed to. My suspicion is that it has to do with all those safety switches and what is the neccessary circuitry to make them function.

I would like to enlighten myself about this in case i,m in the back country when something odd happens.

Quote Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
    Whatever it turns out to be, please let us know. There are several posts in this forum relating to the engine not starting, stopping, etc that are odd.

Me thinks the engineers have designed the ignition circuit in a way that, at least I, am not accustomed to. My suspicion is that it has to do with all those safety switches and what is the neccessary circuitry to make them function.

I would like to enlighten myself about this in case i,m in the back country when something odd happens.

I scream, you scream, we all scream for SEAFOAM

I don't think you have a fuel problem since the problem occurs under a plethora of conditions. Seafoam in the fuel certain;y won't hurt.

1) Clean (with Seafoam Deep Creep) and tighten all electrical connections.

2) Disconnect (normal open) or bypass (normal closed) one switch at a time until the problem disappears. Repair or replace that switch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links