Kick start installation (positioning pictures)
Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Kick start installation (positioning pictures)

Kick start installation (positioning pictures)

Hi
    I couldn't find any clear picture of how the axle should be positioned. The old thread lost all the attached pictures so I decided to take some good pictures while installing the kit so it can be helpful to those newbies like myself.
    First of all, I would like to make sure I am doing this right. The starter gear didn't have two notches as shown in the installation diagram so I just had to position the horseshoe clip based on what I think it makes.
    Here is what I think logically makes sense but I would like to have someone who is a lot more knowledgeable to confirm / correct.
    I am also see somewhat conflicting information regarding the spring. Does it have to be pre-loaded or not?
    Finally when I put on the lever with the proper TW200 part, the lever seems to interfere with the brake pedal just based on pre-fitting.
    kick start installation.jpg

rbm
    Hello and welcome! Your picture is correct and IIRC, there is a little pre-load on the spring, not much, enough to bring the kick lever back to it's home position. As for the kicker interfering with the brake lever, it should not once installed.
    Fred, 98922 and PlacerLode like this.

Thanks
    How about the starter gear missing two notches? Is it normal? Based on the instruction which may been outdated, the gear is supposed to have two notches where the horseshoe clip ends are placed. You can actually see what gear looks like in the picture above as well. With this design, the horseshoe clip is freely rotating.
    Capture2.JPG

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Here's what things should look with the kickstarter gear assembly properly installed. I have looked at several of these assemblies and can find none that have any notches on the kickstarter gear. Your horseshoe spring appears to be properly assembled. There is a piece on the outboard side of the kickstarter gear that has a notch on one side that one end of the coil spring goes into and two notches on the other side that a tabbed washer goes into. I seem to remember that the coil spring requires at least 180 degrees (one half turn) in order to hook it on to the post.

100_4135.JPG

There should be plenty of clearance between the kickstarter arm/boss and the break pedal.

100_4115.JPG

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by TW-Brian; 01-11-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Apparently the diagram is based on the original design and the new design works fine as is. I put together everything finally. The lever does not interfere with the brake at all once all tightened up.
    There are two things that would be useful for those who never have done this.

1. The tip of the horseshoe must be aligned to 6 PM. Please see the picture above.
    2. Your kick gear may appear to be a bit different from the instruction diagram
    3. Spring needs to have enough tension to bring the lever to the up position firmly when released. Otherwise it will rattle or move when you ride.
    PlacerLode and TWilight like this.

Thanks Brian. Yes there are notches on outer side as you described to secure the end of the spring and washer but none inside. If you look at the diagram it looks like there are two notches as well where the ends of the horseshoe spring would be placed in. Perhaps I was reading in too much.
    Anyways, everything is working well after I put them together. Thanks.
    PlacerLode likes this.

Have my kit, just a bit lazy to tear everything apart.....

So what is the trick to keep the clutch assembly from rotating when the 24mm nut is being removed. I am working on this right now and can't get the assembly from rotating. Is there a prime place to stick a screw driver or something in there. I don't want to damage any of the surfaces. My project is at a stand still. Advice greatly appreciated.

There's a tool you can buy called a clutch keeper or something. But I have had luck with a rolled up shop rag wedged in to the clutch boss gear. Just be be sure the rag doesn't get eaten.
    Persistence is the better part of genius.

You can also *carefully* use an impact gun.
    TWilight and Peterb like this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links