CDI repair - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: CDI repair

Quote Originally Posted by tombauer View Post
    TW and BW CDI's do not use a microprocessor. They use a crude time delay with a quad op-amp at its heart. Honda mower CDI's use a dedicated time delay IC but much the same result. I have true microprocessor controlled CDI's for 1985 to 2000 BW and TW bikes. Need some people to test them on actual bikes and report the timing just for fine tuning of the curve.
    Thanks for the reply. Are your CDIs user-tunable? That would be a nice feature.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

For such a slow and low power bike, I don't see any reason to make them that way, it would add to the cost. I am considering having a tach output wire. If someone wanted a custom curve it certainly could be done. There is one being designed now that is tunable from a smart phone with wi-fi.

For such a slow and low power bike, I don't see any reason to make them that way, it would add to the cost. I am considering having a tach output wire. If someone wanted a custom curve it certainly could be done. There is one being designed now that is tunable from a smart phone with wi-fi.
    I like the idea of having a tach output!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

10 CDI's made today, 4 with wiring harness, 1 for 1987 and 3 for 1988 to 2000. Programmed with this advance curve.
    Rev limiter set at 9500, unique power supply allows for use of any of the Yamaha high voltage supply to power the microprocessor.
    These CDI's do not support the interlock for stand and clutch but it is just bypassed and will work only without killing engine.
    Next version will have tach output, support stand and clutch. DC powered CDI's also available and have a very much hotter spark.
    curve.jpg101_2108.JPG101_2113.JPG
    Last edited by tombauer; 09-14-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    littletommy, elime, Ken and 7 others like this.

10 CDI's made today, 4 with wiring harness, 1 for 1987 and 3 for 1988 to 2000. Programmed with this advance curve.curve.jpg
    My suggestion would be to send the prototype 1987 unit to Elime (Tony) who is the resident guru for getting every last bit of performance out of his two 1987 TW's. He recently acquired a new CDI from Yamaha so he would be able to compare the performance of your unit versus a known good stock one.

Hi Tombauer. Are you selling these CDI's? I have an 88 mod bought recently. I suspect that the CDI in it is a Chinese copy. It looks nothing like pics I see for a genuine one . How much and do you mail to Australia?.....................Ian
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.

Tombauer you may have found another product to add to your "niche" business, while helping a lot of folks who don't want to give up on their TW's with the bad cdi's. Best of luck to you in this pursuit.
    littletommy likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian43ktm View Post
    Hi Tombauer. Are you selling these CDI's? I have an 88 mod bought recently. I suspect that the CDI in it is a Chinese copy. It looks nothing like pics I see for a genuine one . How much and do you mail to Australia?.....................Ian
    USPS to Australia is $35. I hope to have some tested in real life in a few days.

USPS to Australia is $35. I hope to have some tested in real life in a few days.

Back Story.

I recently obtained a 1983 XT200. It was reported to have had CDI's replaced as part of its history. The XT200 is an unusual setup with a 6V system instead of 12V. It was mentioned there was a possibility the CDI's would go bad if run without the battery.

Current story.

So when it warms up it will spit and sputter then giving it some throttle. I'm cleaning/repairing the carb but the symptoms are similar to what I've seen written about for the 1987 TW's. I have ordered a new cdi in case this is the problem and not the carb. Can't really go wrong with having a spare cdi for a 1983 motorcycle should the cause be the carb just the same.

Future story.

Should I find the cdi to be the issue with this "almost TW", I might have an XT200 cdi for you to work on if this would be of any interest to you. If repairing/rebuilding an XT200 cdi is something you'd be interested in let me know.

Thanks
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

i would like to see the wiring diagram. if you have one scan it as a jpg with high resolution, so it will be a much cleaned scan.
    if it is like the BW and TW 200's here be very careful using any other than the proper CDI. the timing could be so far advanced it will damage the engine or so far retarded it will run hot.
    Last edited by tombauer; 08-31-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links