Chain Seal, Guard installation
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mkriley

Thread: Chain Seal, Guard installation

hi,

the top part of my nylon chain guard broke off <SEAL, GUARD

34X-22151-01-00 > can anyone tell me about the installation process?

Looks like the swingarm has to come off? Any universal part that will work as the yamaha one is very pricey at >$50.

THANKS

MIKE

It is a bit of a pain, as you do usually have to remove the swingarm. Just search for "chain guide" on this forum and the old one, you should turn up a few alternatives. In any case, it's a pretty important part to have. There are universal units out there on the net, too, that probably work just as well with a good installation.

I searched "slider" and got this: https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...__1#entry58482
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Like assquatch said, its an important part to have, maybe even crucial. Changing out the seal does involve taking off the rear tire/wheel and the swingarm. Its actually not that hard if you have some sockets and a wrench.

Start by removing the spring on the right side of your swingarm that the rear brake rod connects to:

Then remove the rear brake rod from the arm:

Remove the black chain guard (two 8mm headed bolts)

Loosen the rear axle and rotate the snail adjuster all the way past number 1. This allows the rear wheel/axle assembly to slide all the way forward on the swing arm. This should allow you to lift up on your chain and I usually hang it on my left passenger peg.

Now slide out the axle from the swing arm/wheel assembly. I grab the wheel with one hand while I pull out the axle with the other. You'll end up with this:

Now remove the cotter pin from the lower shock pin. Theres a washer on the pin too. Don't worry, the shock doesn't have any load on it so it won't shoot anywhere. The shock eye has washers on either side of it that go between the swing arm and the shock. Make sure you don't lose them.

Now remove the swing arm pivot bolt. I get the nut off and use a blunt nosed punch and a hammer to gently tap out the bolt until I can grab it with my hand. I do believe that the right side of the bike where the bolt goes through has a little welded piece on the frame that doesn't allow the bolt head to move when you take off the nut on the left side. This helps take off the nut because the bolt won't move.

And you'll end up with this. Remove the one screw, install the new one and put it all back together. Make sure that when you remove the screw, you remove the washer with it and put this on the new slider.

When you put it back together, make sure you grease your shock pin, washers on shock eye, swing arm bolt, and rear axle. When you're all done, make sure you pump in some grease into the zerks on the swing arm.

When the swing arm is off of the bike, you'll notice it has a washer on each side that kind of look like caps. Keep those in place because underneath are shims. If they do fall off, make sure you put them back on the side they fell off from.

The swing arm fits kind of tight onto the frame/motor, so when you remove everything and are ready to remove the swing arm, don't be afraid to push the swing arm up and down and wiggle it to remove it. Same goes for installation. Don't force it, but don't be afraid to push.

Swing arm bolt: 58 ft. lbs.

Rear axle: 65 ft. lbs.
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

thanks guys that is more than I hoped for!

mike

Mkriley, let us know how your install turns out. I know it sucks to lay down 50 bucks for a little piece of rubber, but it is a needed part. It should last you awhile though. I haven't found an aftermarket one, but I have seen guys who make them out of plastic (kind of like the white plastic that cutting boards are made out of).
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

boatparts.net has them for 38.00.

yamaha make me mad with their parts prices.

27.50 for a carb bowl drain screw. The new rubber carb parts are still not ethanol resistant.

5 miniutes in e85 and a new carb bowl gasket swelled so much that the bowl passed through it. let it dry too long and it shrinks so much that it will not fit.

Have to soak it again in e85 for just the right amount of time to get it to fit.

rant over

thanks guys for all the help, everybody's great!

MIKE
    Miaugi likes this.

Sponosred Links