Need Rear Shock Info
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Since we now have the luxury of pinning our posts, I would like to assemble as much rear shock information and place in a single post. This should be of benefit to all those that follow and have a desire to upgrade their rear suspension. I still have some good shots of my V-Star mod, and someone just posted a link to Dyno Dave's great upgrades that includes the Banshee switch. The Blaster switch was well chronicled by Catamount on this site, so that move should be easy. What I would like to do is get some pictures of the Yamaha R6(?) that Mtbike Jeff did. When moveing about the old site, I note that alot of the photos are 'gone'.

Should you find photos of any rear shock changes, could you please post them/links here so I might put something together over Christmas when I will have some extra time............. MUCH THANKS. Gerry

https://tw200forum.com/forums/83474/ShowPost.aspx
    Take care my Friend.........

Come on folks, I need a hand on this one.. I would rather spend the time putting together a good post, not combing through hundreds of threads looking for a picture (s). Should you know where to look, please point me in the wright direction. Thanks, Gerry

I think it's a great idea. Hope folks come forward.

It may be that some of these swaps didn't work out as well as expected in everyday use. Happens to me all the time. It would be nice to have that information as well, so no one has to reinvent the wheel.

I have nothing to contribute thus far, but I'm working on a Banshee/TW hybrid that I hope will provide a fully adjustable stock-length shock.
    Last edited by littletommy; 09-11-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Gerry:

I renamed your post topic so maybe it will garner more attention. I am also moving it to the technical forum as it definitely is not off topic.
    Regards...Wes
    In the Stable: 73 Honda CT90,81 Honda CT110,81 Honda CT70,04 Yamaha TW200,07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

I'm starting to suspect that Blaster/Banshee shocks are either identical, or identical during certain years (or, they are being listed incorrectly on eBay).

I'm not sure what to make of it.

Check out this post by Brock:

Quote Originally Posted by Brock View Post
    Welcome to the T Dub forum. I am a novice at best and I just put a banshee/blaster shock on my T Dub. You only need basic tools to change it (Pillips, wrench for the rear wheel, and a few others) and I did my in my apartment living room. I had to have a small bushing machined for the top eye loop on the shock ($40) and it can be a bit touch to put the pin through the bottom of end of the shock, but there is not much tech knowledge needed.

I have a second identical shock that I paid $25 for, I will sell it for the same price if you like. It has a white spring and looks to be in pretty good shape. I bought one that was listed as a blaster, then a bought another that was listed as a banshee and they are both identical.
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

Also, here is my "lessons learned" thread about the Blaster shock.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...h__1#entry4060

And here is immgunn's lessons learned about the Banshee shock.

https://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...ch__1#entry893
    Check out my custom TW200 build Hidden Content .

TTR225 SS header, FMF Turbine Core 2 pipe, EK o-ring chain, 15T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket, 20W fork oil, Drag Specialities speedometer, Victory Vegas headlight, Acerbis universal supermoto front fender, Vintage Yamaha chrome gas cap, Integrated LED rear tail/turn/brake light, Yamaha Blaster shock, Pro Taper SE ATV High handlebar, Western Powersports off-road handguards, Pro Taper Pillow Top Lite grips, Over-sized foot pegs, Maxxis 6006 front tire, seat cover from eBay seller mac32756.

I've been kicking around in boneyards lately, trying to figure this stuff out. Unfortunately I limited my search to shocks under 14" free length, so I didn't measure all the ones mentioned below, but there is a lot of room for getting it wrong when you think about it.

I think a lot of guys aren't distinguishing between front and rear Blaster and Banshee shocks, leading to confusion. All using different shocks, believing them to be the same. I think this accounts for why one person is dazzled with his shock and another is not. We're not all on the same page.

For example, the early Banshee rear shock which directly fits our bikes is a reservoir shock, 14" eye to eye, both bushings are the same diameter as a TW shock, is fully adjustable for preload, rebound and compression damping and is gold anodized. It must be mounted upside down on our bikes. It's intended to work through a linkage, so the spring is mush.

I can bottom this shock just by bouncing up and down on the bike in the driveway, and I only weigh 170. Which leads me to think that anyone who has one and is happy with it probably has some other shock by mistake.

The later Banshee rear is a natural aluminum color, has a huge lower casting and won't fit our bikes at all. Different animals.

Brock sent me pics of his shock. I believe it's a Blaster front.

All of these are gunna be of different lengths and spring rates, some years have progressive springs, some originally were intended to work with linkages and have lighter springs, and some were designed to be paired on the front a-arms of an ATV, which will be lighter still, but longer.
    Last edited by littletommy; 09-11-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

BOY Lizrbrth what a great bit of information. Good thing we are not working for NASA. This is indeed something that needs to be considered, and I never gave it a thought. In my mind I just assumed "rear". I think that is what I purchased. Gerry

Thanks Guys, didn't realize what was going on here. Charles started this project, and in my opinion, the best thing we can do is leave something of value for someone else. Catamount, you have put lots of effort in your thread. It gets lots of hits and is a real inspiration.

Some time ago, I presented a thread on how one might carry more fuel. It worked out fine, and seemed to help a few folks. I would like to do the same with 'rear shock options'.

Please keep the "rear shock" information flowing my way and I will see if Santa can do something nice. If any of you guys have some 'free' time, give some thought to picking a topic and make yourself immortal (in Cyber Space) by putting together a comprehensive "how to" sticky.

Lets not forget Eldavo's Wikipedia project. Lots of work and very informative. We as well can add information.

Thanks again, Gerry

Nah, Gerry. That's the one. I think most of the confusion occurs when buying online. Is that the VStar setup?

I wonder how that spring would work out on the stock TW shock. I actually think most of the issue with the stocker is that sudden "hit" you take from the progressive spring.
    Last edited by littletommy; 09-11-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links