Setting Float
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Setting Float

Setting Float

When you set the float by measurement to 10/11 mm isn't it assuming that the float part itself is the the correct relationship to whe the slide is that the needle hangs on.
    That would make the measurement with clear tube a essential way to double check the float/fuel level.
    ???????
    Wonder if there is a measurement for float to place where needle mounts.

Or am I wacky
    Last edited by wayno; 02-24-2014 at 06:29 PM.

rbm
    I've never done this, looking forward to replies from those that have.

Quote Originally Posted by wayno View Post
    When you set the float by measurement to 10/11 mm isn't it assuming that the float part itself is the the correct relationship to whe the slide is that the needle hangs on.
    That would make the measurement with clear tube a essential way to double check the float/fuel level.
    ???????
    Wonder if there is a measurement for float to place where needle mounts.

Or am I wacky
    I don't have a clue what you are asking in the first sentence!

The float itself when placed on a flat surface should be horizontally alligned-- both float sides sitting on the flat surface and the brass connector straight across. Look it over and if it is twisted or tweaked in some way then you carefully get it symmetrical.

There is a tab in the middle of the float that is adjustable. with the carb upside down and level the float tab should be depressing the valve pin. Measure from the rim of the carb body to the top of the floats on each side. I believe it is 1.02 - 1.10 inches or 26-28 MM on my old style carb with round floats. This gets you close.

Use the clear tube method when the carb is on the bike and this gives you a good indication to where the fuel level really is when in operating mode. A sticky pin on the float valve is no good and if the float valve itself hangs up in it's cup this is also no good. You do not want one side of the float higher than the other when measuring.

GaryL
    Last edited by GaryL; 02-25-2014 at 06:39 PM.
    Peterb likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I remove the carb when using the clear tube method, which I prefer, and use a long hose from the tank for fuel to the carb. That way I can hold the carb level when reading the hose/fuel level height. I do this with the bowl screws removed and just hold the bowl in place. That way I can dump the gas and make a quick adjustment and recheck.

I generally like to run my fuel level about 2mm below what the specs say. Particularly for off road stuff.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's the only way out.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I don't have a clue what you are asking in the first sentence!

The float itself when placed on a flat surface should be horizontally alligned-- both float sides sitting on the flat surface and the brass connector straight across. Look it over and if it is twisted or tweaked in some way then you carefully get it symmetrical.

There is a tab in the middle of the float that is adjustable. with the carb upside down and level the float tab should be depressing the valve pin. Measure from the rim of the carb body to the top of the floats on each side. I believe it is 1.10 inches or 10-11MM. This gets you close.

Use the clear tube method when the carb is on the bike and this gives you a good indication to where the fuel level really is when in operating mode. A sticky pin on the float valve is no good and if the float valve itself hangs up in it's cup this is also no good. You do not want one side of the float higher than the other when measuring.

GaryL
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Warrior View Post
    I remove the carb when using the clear tube method, which I prefer, and use a long hose from the tank for fuel to the carb. That way I can hold the carb level when reading the hose/fuel level height. I do this with the bowl screws removed and just hold the bowl in place. That way I can dump the gas and make a quick adjustment and recheck.

I generally like to run my fuel level about 2mm below what the specs say. Particularly for off road stuff.
    Thanks for the fog clearing. I can be pretty thick headed at times.

Quote Originally Posted by wayno View Post

Or am I wacky
    Not wacky.

Bending the tang on the float assembly is trial and error...until you get close to the 10 to 11 mm.

Using the clear tube confirms the actual fuel level in the bowl.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

Quote Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
    Not wacky.

Bending the tang on the float assembly is trial and error...until you get close to the 10 to 11 mm.

Using the clear tube confirms the actual fuel level in the bowl.

jb
    Just for some clarification here. The carb shown is a new style carb. I don't know the specs on the float height for this carb. On my old style carbs that have round floats the manual says the height should be set at 26-28 MM or 1.02-1.10 Inches. You absolutely need to know which of the two style carbs you are working on before setting the float level.

GaryL
    Fred likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Setting the float level is very confusing for me as well. I know that having it too high can cause the engine to run rich and vice versa. I am trying to set the height on my little bw because when kicking it it drips gas from the overflow and will leave a puddle where it sits. Can someone please CLEARLY explain how to set the float level?
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

I will give it a go and will also welcome anyone who has better info to make corrections.

Find the specs for the carb on your bike and make sure you have the correct year, model and carb. If you are sure your float valve and seat are functioning and sealing properly you can set the float height with the carb off and float bowl removed. Place a ruler on the edge of the carb body and measure to the top of the floats on each side with the carb up side down and the float sitting on the valve pin, this would be the close position of the valve. There is a tab that pushes on the valve needle that can be bent to set the top of the floats to the correct height. If the top of the floats are too high according to the specs then your fuel level will be too low in the bowl when the valve is closed. You would bend the tab up to achieve the correct measurement. If the top of the floats are below the spec measurement then your float valve will not shut off the flow of fuel when the floats hit the top of the carb body. Bend the tab down so the top of your floats is at the spec measurement. Basically, the floats work just like the flushometer in your toilet. When you flush the float drops and when the tank fills up the float raises and at the very top, just before the water level reaches the overflow tube the valve closes and stops the water flow. If your bike is leaking fuel or your toilet keeps running all the time the valve is not closing.

JBFLA just posted some great pics showing his ruler on the body and the float here; https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...ing-float.html

Hope this helps

GaryL

Thanks gary! So you take the measurement at the highest point of the float? I.e. the bottom of the floats when the carb is upside-down?
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links