Tailgate saver
Close

Thread: Tailgate saver

bike to long for tacoma with tool box dont like the weight of bike along with cinching it down on my tailgate. Ramp welded to upside down drop hitch stinger, folds up and latches to itself, dont have to worry about securing a normal ramp up in the bed,or some one swiping the ramp while not around.[attachment=81:IMG_0981.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice alternative solution to the hitch carrier option for a shortbed problem. Somebody somewhere is thinking!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

That is pretty clever and I like it very much. Looks like a nice and clean fit. Good job!
    If you can't find it, grind it

1990 TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tophat View Post
    bike to long for tacoma with tool box dont like the weight of bike along with cinching it down on my tailgate. Ramp welded to upside down drop hitch stinger, folds up and latches to itself, dont have to worry about securing a normal ramp up in the bed,or some one swiping the ramp while not around.[attachment=81:IMG_0981.jpg]

I have the same problem ... toolbox & Tacoma. I like your design. I made a support for my ramp for loading, but I have to take the tool box out.

I have a center ramp with two outriggers.

What do you use to keep the front tire from bouncing around?

Quote Originally Posted by rdm2112 View Post
    I have the same problem ... toolbox & Tacoma. I like your design. I made a support for my ramp for loading, but I have to take the tool box out.

I have a center ramp with two outriggers.

What do you use to keep the front tire from bouncing around?
    strap it down just like normal.

Those are both clever ideas. I too have a Tacoma with a tool box. When I brought my new old 2001 home last week, I removed the tool box completely but I got to looking at it. I think if the TW is loaded to one side, the tool box could be slid back in lengthwise along side it. While it is off, it would provide a step up onto the tailgate while loading and unloading or incorporate it into the ramp design.

When I had my V-Max, I would load it to one side of my 1995 Nissan Hardbody, about the same size as the Tacoma. Stack up my ramps on the other side and then put a couple of big Action Packers on top of the ramps. I do not have a picture of it loaded, but here is an article I wrote about the Rampmaster Ramps. I should have kept those ramps.

2001 TW200 adopted January 2012. 2001 Moto Guzzi California EV acquired June 2012. Ex-rides: Hidden Content , Hidden Content that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many Hidden Content , 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro purchased new that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    Those are both clever ideas. I too have a Tacoma with a tool box. When I brought my new old 2001 home last week, I removed the tool box completely but I got to looking at it. I think if the TW is loaded to one side, the tool box could be slid back in lengthwise along side it. While it is off, it would provide a step up onto the tailgate while loading and unloading or incorporate it into the ramp design.

When I had my V-Max, I would load it to one side of my 1995 Nissan Hardbody, about the same size as the Tacoma. Stack up my ramps on the other side and then put a couple of big Action Packers on top of the ramps. I do not have a picture of it loaded, but here is an article I wrote about the Rampmaster Ramps. I should have kept those ramps.

I cant do without my tool box.

I cant do without the toolbox

Quote Originally Posted by tophat View Post
    I cant do without the toolbox

Me either. That is why I suggested that if the TW is loaded to one side, to the right for example as if you were going to load two motorcycles, then put the toolbox in on the left on the floorboards, lengthwise. Load the ramp on top of the toolbox.

It may mean unloading the toolbox in order to move it, taking it out, putting it back in lengthwise and reloading it, but I think it's possible. I've done that before to carry scaffolding.

I got the idea when I bought a used toolbox for my Dad's full sized Silverado and carried it to him in my little Nissan Hardbody, lengthwise. Here is a post about it I made on the Nissan Off Road forum with pictures.
    2001 TW200 adopted January 2012. 2001 Moto Guzzi California EV acquired June 2012. Ex-rides: Hidden Content , Hidden Content that I rode 67,000 miles in six years and had many Hidden Content , 1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special, Yamaha XT 500, 1969 Yamaha DT 175 Enduro purchased new that started it all and a Honda 90 and 110 ATV, an Indian Mini Buffalo (a 50cc Italjet) and a couple of other dirt bikes.

Sponosred Links