Route Recon and History Lesson
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Route Recon and History Lesson

Route Recon and History Lesson

Other day I went out for a route recon to find a shortcut for some future rides. Since I was out...a while back a local rider from ADVrider (Papayolk), mentioned some local historical places I wasn't aware of, so thought I try to find them, along with a couple other places I've been wanted to find.

Old Fort Boise: Approximate site of the Hudson Bay Trading Company fort at the confluence of the Boise and Snake Rivers. Nothing remains here other than a monument and good views

More Old Fort Boise Info here: Old Fort Boise -- Pathways of Pioneers: Idaho's Oregon Trail Legacy -- Outdoor Idaho (Idaho Public Television)

Apple Valley Community?:

Rode by this old "City" lookin' building out in the middle of farm country. Looked on a map and it could be the community of Apple Valley. Most maps list it nearby, not here, but I did
    find one which put it here. So, I dunno exactly, but still a cool old building in what is now an odd place

Nyssa, Oregon WWII German POW Camp: (Note: Nyssa, Oregon-The Gateway of the Oregon Trail. Nyssa was incorporated in 1903, Records conflict about the origin of the town name. Some believe it's the acronym for New York Sheep Shearing Association, or N.Y.S.S.A., since large flocks of sheep were raised here. Another naming version say a railroad engineer asked his daughter to pick out a name. She wasy studying ancient history and her book was open to St. Gregory of Nyssa. (courtesy of Nyssa Chamber of Commerce).

Last remaining building of the old WWII German POW Camp. Building is thought to be the mess hall.

Most of the camp has been torn down and was replaced by agricultural migrant housing. New housing seen in the distance to the center and right

Was gonna go closer, but someone had a pickup backed up to the building, so I took this picture and rode on

Closer

More POW Info here: Taisie's Blog | Musings of an adventurous, creative woman

Cow Hollow CCC Camp, Japanese Internment Camp, County Park:

Here is Cow Hollow Park, and was a WWII Japanese Internment Camp branch

Couldn't tell from here as almost all the buildings are long gone

Old foundation of one of the buildings

Did find one building. Use to be the Laundry and Shower building. On private property now so I didn't look inside...or did I? Only I know if I did or not!

And to my amazement, it was a Civilian Conservation Corp Camp before it was an internment camp. Wow!

More Info here: http://www.ochcom.org/pdf/LeeRussellOCHCWebContent.pdf and here: cowhollow | Malheur County

And just so you all know, I found my route shortcut too!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks for the tour Admiral. It's nice to take a small trip from my I Pad. That's nice country. Makes me want to go for a ride. By the way........I really like the look of your TW.
    admiral and Fred like this.
    My '87 TDub was born amidst the fervor of Miami Vice! And it looks like Don Johnson's wardrobe!Hidden Content Hidden Content

thats one of the best things about a tw,going out and exploring ,seeing new things or old history.i like going out exploring our countryside finding old 1800's log camps and farms ,and old forgotten grave sites from days gone by.i try to imagine what life was like back then,we can learn alot from history.funny when i went to school i hated history mostly because of the having to remember all thoes dates.i would have loved to have gone on that trip with you admiral.
    Pass Man and admiral like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Nice!, I love the places you go.
    admiral likes this.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

I am so JEALOUS!
    admiral likes this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I love that brick building all out on it's own. Definitely makes you think about what used to be there and what the builders hoped for the future.

Thanks for the great historic pics!
    admiral likes this.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Quote Originally Posted by Pass Man View Post
    By the way........I really like the look of your TW.
    Thanks. I should wash it more though!

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    thats one of the best things about a tw,going out and exploring ,seeing new things or old history.i like going out exploring our countryside finding old 1800's log camps and farms ,and old forgotten grave sites from days gone by.i try to imagine what life was like back then,we can learn alot from history.funny when i went to school i hated history mostly because of the having to remember all thoes dates.i would have loved to have gone on that trip with you admiral.
    You and I like finding similar places. I love having a destination to ride too (fire lookouts, old ranches etc).

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    I am so JEALOUS!
    but you have ocean views we don't have!

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    I love that brick building all out on it's own. Definitely makes you think about what used to be there and what the builders hoped for the future.

Thanks for the great historic pics!
    Car parked on other side of this building making it appear someone may live in it too. Does make me wonder what it was used for. Trying to find out info about the location, but have come up empty so far. Probably gotta talk to an old timer living nearby or use to live there. Maybe county historical museum.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Thanks for sharing the ride. Fine way to spend a day.. or more.
    admiral likes this.

fun finding historical places! good pics!
    admiral likes this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

Appreciate the tour. You did an 'admiral' job on this 'private' tour with a 'major' emphasis on history. Oops I'm just 'generalizing'. Had a pow camp near my place in Tennessee. German Afrikacorp mostly. A few Italians too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links