A quick trip to the Glacier
Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By Tiny-Wheel-200

Thread: A quick trip to the Glacier

A quick trip to the Glacier

Pics of the bike "in the wild".

Trip toward knik glacier 2 april2014

Ive had this helmet since I was in 7th grade in 1987. Whenever I put it on, I can remember what it feels like to be 13. Back then I was travelling on 3 wheels. First Yamaha, then hondas. My yamahas were the same color as my front fender on this bike. I think it would be novel to have a 80s yamaha yellow TW. I may still do that. Very tempted to do that. Who has an idea on what sort of paint to use to paint plastics?

Knik River and Knik Glacier in the background. A gorgeous flat landscape that is like going to the desert without leaving the 907. Its featured in the movie "on frozen ground" and in star trek 2 where it stands in as the klingon ice prison. Rent those mmovies on netflix and see where ive been! Ive done loads of iceskating in this area. This last year I put over 800 miles on my skates, probably more than I put on my bike.

Gorgeous unbroken sunshine, 25 degrees f. zero other tracks left in the sand here. I could still see the tracks i left in my fatcat back in november. So quiet. So beautiful. A super pleasant place to ride. During the ice age this area was under several thousand feet of ice. The glacier is ten miles from this photo. The river is a pleasant slow class 1 float dropping 16 feet per mile. Travels abobut 3.5 mph when it dlows at 1500cfs which is very low. At higher flows it covers the riverbank where im riding. It can have as much as 60,000 cfs during high water.

Me on the bike. Love how it rides in the sand with the big tire.
    self on tw.JPG
    Riding on the aufeis of the knik river. Its overflow ice frozen directly to the sand. This area is an icebox in the early and late winters, but can warm up to 55 degrees in the middle of january when we get a chinook which is a tropical wind and moisture event from the hawaiian pacific area. Usually when we get a chinook, its deathly cold in the midwest and other areas of the US.
    self tw ice.JPG
    Pioneer peak in the background. el 6398. looks more imposing from a different angle.
    self tw pio peak.JPG
    Bodenburg creek, bike on aufeis again.
    tw bodenburg.JPG
    This car has been flooded over many times and is now filled to the brim with sand and gravel. When it blows here you can see clouds of dust and silt blowing up to 2000 feet tall. You can see the clouds from like 40 miles away. Its impressive but not a super pleasant place to be when its blowing.
    tw car.JPG

Whats more beautiful than a single fat track left in the sand? Nothing...that is what is more beautiful. This is a gorgeous place to be alone. This site wants to rotate soome of my photos...anyone know how to rectify that. Also ive had problems using photos from picasa...anyone know why? This gravel was gouged out of the bedrock and ground into uniform gravel and sand that is rarely bigger than 3/4 inch and very well graded.

So that was my wednesday evening.
    Last edited by Tiny-Wheel-200; 04-03-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    admiral, MCC1776, r80rt and 4 others like this.

Very Nice!
    Your sideways photo self corrects when viewer clicks on it, don't know why. Magic!
    When viewed full screen the single track picture really conveys the feeling of solitude and beauty you are describing.

Several companies have plastic sprays but Krylon is easy to get.
    Krylon Fusion for plastic spray can in Gloss Sunbeam #2330 andFusion Gloss Black #2321 might replicate 1980's Yamaha look. I googled "paint for plastic" while considering this for myself. Clean, alcohol wipe, 180 grit light sand to de-gloss then white base coat over your blue(krylon Fusion gloss, satin or flat,2320,2420 or,2518). Then spray color coats. Supposedly with good prep any plastic paint base coat gives a good flexible bond to plastic allowing use of a dissimilar color coat. I mention this in case right yellow not easily available in plastic-specific compatible paint.

Sorry for my paint ramble, kinda distracts from beauty of your shared Knik Glacier ride.

I can't master piccasa either despite Admirals helpfull posts.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-03-2014 at 01:11 AM.

I miss Alaska! love your photo's and video's

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

looks like awesome country to ride. i'm impressed or surprised you can still fit in your 8th grade helmet... no way mine would be comfortable even if i could squeeze it on.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I too miss it up there. I have ridden the knik several times all he way up to the glacier and some of the road/trails up the left side. Have a place up on lazy mountain overlooking the matanuska. Sure miss it up there. you can google earth it at 17655 geldard cir palmer, ak. Will be back up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Very Nice!
    Your sideways photo self corrects when viewer clicks on it, don't know why. Magic!
    When viewed full screen the single track picture really conveys the feeling of solitude and beauty you are describing.

Several companies have plastic sprays but Krylon is easy to get.
    Krylon Fusion for plastic spray can in Gloss Sunbeam #2330 andFusion Gloss Black #2321 might replicate 1980's Yamaha look. I googled "paint for plastic" while considering this for myself. Clean, alcohol wipe, 180 grit light sand to de-gloss then white base coat over your blue(krylon Fusion gloss, satin or flat,2320,2420 or,2518). Then spray color coats. Supposedly with good prep any plastic paint base coat gives a good flexible bond to plastic allowing use of a dissimilar color coat. I mention this in case right yellow not easily available in plastic-specific compatible paint.

Sorry for my paint ramble, kinda distracts from beauty of your shared Knik Glacier ride.

I can't master piccasa either despite Admirals helpfull posts.
    X-2 on the krylon for plastic............... OMM.

Sponosred Links