Good or bad idea? Long ride into the Gobi!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Good or bad idea? Long ride into the Gobi!

Question Good or bad idea? Long ride into the Gobi!

Hello TW fans!

I am faced with a fun decision, so I thought I'd ask for some input from more experienced riders. I have just gotten my new Yamaha AG200. A group of coworkers is going from Ulaanbaatar to Sainshand (about 450 km) by train. Train takes 8 hours, Google maps calls it a 12 hour drive! I am told there is a road all the way there and filling stations on the way. I am (foolishly perhaps) considering grabbing a sleeping bag and a tent, and driving my new little bike there. I'd love to hear from you guys that have been on some long rides on little bikes. I am somewhat concerned about being in the middle of the Gobi desert, broken down, with no cell phone reception. What have I not thought of?

280 miles into a harsh environment in one of the remotest places on earth on a new bike with minimal survival gear - what could go wrong ?

Sounds like an adventure to make lasting memories,I say "go for it" with adequate precautions. Route looks like it parrallels railine and terrain looks reasonable, maybe sandy or silty in places.Choir looks about halfway and well developed as do several other settlements along railway.So it appears perfectly do-able for a AG200. Road looks relatively well traveled and clearly defined (Google Earth) so you might beat a 40kph moving average.
    I would pack clothes for worse imaginable weather along with the overnight gear and take my time if possible. Maybe carry enough fuel to carry you well beyond anticipated refueling place if you cannot confirm availability before leaving Ulaanbataar. Tire repair kit ? Water . A little food if you cannot count on roadhouses along the way.
    It is only 450km, but what do I know of Mongolia. Do know I would volunteer to join you in a heartbeat. Have fun and send us pictures if possible.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-07-2014 at 01:30 AM.
    Mongol Pete likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Your weather looks decent for the next 8 days or so , mid 30's F to low 70'sF then maybe rain. Do your roads turn to goo after rain? Photos I found did not show alot of old ruts so hopefully you will do fine if you have rain. Good luck.

Now I'm told that the road up to Choir is "average", and beyond that "brand new" Also, that there are "plenty of gas stations and hotels along the way". Now it's really tempting!

have you talked with local truckers? the dealership where you bought your bike?

i would network and ask about that route, and not depend on people mid route. i've been lost in developing countries before, where even with a map and speaking the language... they thought i was an alien and didn't know which way it was to the next major town.

sounds awesome to me... pack prudent gear and survival equipment and RIDE ON!
    Fred likes this.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

One way to find out, I'd go for it.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

You do have a good chain on your bike, don't you?

Stop every half hour and take pictures and post them here. Pictures of everything!!!!

I bet you have half the guys on this forum wishing they could go with you.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

You will be fine I suspect. It seems to not be really remote from my limited research. I have not been out into the Gobi, but do have considerable desert experience and once walked the Sahara. I see you posted over at Horizons Unlimited, which was a great idea and actually what I was going to suggest. The presence of a road, motels, gas stops, etc. greatly increases your safety margin. Those places don't survive with out traffic. Go have fun. The suggestion that you talk to truck drivers was an excellent one, someone near you drives that route, and chances are all your questions can be answered by that person.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links