TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Big Bend 2014

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  sp_cache 
#1 ·
#9 ·
Sure looks like a great trip, I like your trailer/camp set up. I sure enjoy a comfy camp to relax in after hours in the saddle.

#10 ·
We camped in Rio Grande Village, way down at the southern end of Big Bend right on the Rio Grande.

Max, we don't live there. We live right near the Indiana/Michigan border. We trailered down. I've been to Gobles many times and used to regularly bicycle the Kal-Haven trail.

Thanks Fred. Trailer was borrowed from my brother. The Springbar tent was mine though. :D

#21 ·
Sorry it took so long to reply...... You went right past my house on your bike then... I live 300' south & east 1 mile from Gobles on the trail............. I ride the trail with my snowmobile, that's the only motorized toys they allow.. Sure would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet if they let our Dubs ride on it.../ (o; OMM.

#11 ·
great pics, great trip! i spent about a week down there between el paso and big bend bird watching, lots of places to explore.
how's the stock front tire doing in those sandy wages?

#12 ·
Looked like it was a fun time riding down yonder. I like how the floor of your tent is so clean. I track in dirt wherever I go, and if that was my tent, I would have had a bunch of sand/rocks in there already!:D

#13 ·
I found the stock front tire adequate. Nothing more. I have been dirt riding for decades, and I suppose it isn't too much of a boast to say I can pretty much control a motorcycle in most terrain. I didn't experience the "squirrels in a cage" thing some people describe. I just got the 2011 (with only 62 miles) a couple months ago, and I figure I will just wear the front out and then try one of the recommended fronts to see what the change is like. The 97 that my nephew was riding also had the stock front, that's all that has ever been on it since I bought it new...I just didn't know any better back then. Now I have lots of forum input and look forward to experimenting a bit in the future. As to sand specifically, they have a bunch there, I just hit it with speed and shifted my weight back, no problems. We were riding considerably quicker than other motorcyclists we saw in the back country.

Admiral that was right when we set it up. I always clean my tents before putting them away. It sure didn't look like that after two weeks.

#14 ·
Hey Borneo, looks like you had a good time. I take it you went over to Boquillas, couldn't cross there when we were in Big Bend... That's pretty cool.

Thanks for posting...I wanna go back!

#15 ·
Yep, Rhodetrip, we did go to Boquillas, a very enjoyable time. We also crossed at Presidio and rode around a bit. Ojinaga was a cultural experience for my nephew to say the least. Thanks, by the way for all your input. There were several times I felt I had already been there thanks to you.

#16 ·
I do not know what it is about that place, but I really like it there. How long of a drive from Indiana? I live in Southeast Texas and with a loaded trailer full of bikes it took us around 15 hours. I think the closer you get to it, the longer it takes to get there. LOL Would go more often if it weren't for that drive.

#19 ·
Yes, only appreciable shade when on foot or on bike. Mid-day would find me seeking a "leaner" casting precious pool of shade away from trunk that I could shelter in for a few. Nice country , big on scenery, short on shade.

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.