The tunes in your head...music to ride by
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The tunes in your head...music to ride by

The tunes in your head...music to ride by

Sometimes…at least for me, a song will seep into my skull during a tour. Years later when I again hear that melody my mind returns to those images that had come to symbolize the two wheeled journey.

One such event for me was near Hot Springs, Colorado. I was a week and a half into a ride and looking for a stealth campsite. Bright splashes of wildflowers lined the narrow dirt lane wet from a late afternoon shower. I was at elevation and the air was crisp, scented with mountain flora. Aspens had given way to conifers that now shaded our path that the T-dub was comfortably pulling in third gear. Overhanging branches thinned and I found myself on the edge of a meadow buzzing with insects tasting the sweet nectar of columbine and larkspur. Off to the east I watched the rain I had earlier passed through laying siege to a distant mountain intensified now with the occasional cannonading of lighting and thunder. I didn’t want to leave. To pitch a tent would be too brief. Building a cabin would have been more in order. That’s when a song from the movie How the West Was Won came to me Today, years later whenever I hear that song I’m transported back to that night on the mountainside.

On other trips I find Lee Marvin’s I Was Born Under a Wandering Star filling my head Especially the words, “Wheels are made for rolling, mules are made to pack. I’ve never seen a sight that didn’t look better looking back.” This is from the movie Paint Your Wagon.

When I’m visiting up North, Dolly Parton’s Appalachian Memories haunt my mind The industrial north may have been good for my parents, but it was fast fading for my generation. I got out of there just before factories were shuttered and the ensuing massive layoffs. The first few years in Tennessee were rough; but looking back through aged eyes these were good times. Ate a lot of fish, squirrel, deer, hog and poke sallet. Physically I was in the best shape I’ve ever been working the farm and running the ridges and hollers in the pursuit of game and such. Didn’t have the uncertainties as many who stayed at their soon-to-be-non-existent jobs up north. Eventually I took a job until something better came along. That job became a career. Thirty years as elapsed.

My forth coming trip this July already has a song. Audrey Hepburn singing Moon River from the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s is already resonating in my head. The words, “two drifters off to see the world; there’s such a lot of world to see; we’re after the same rainbow’s end…” struck a chord with me. Perhaps nearing my rainbow’s end (retirement) and will soon be able to travel as I please.

So…what tunes do you travel by?

What are some of your songs for the road?
    Fred and joeband like this.

Fred, CALIMUSJOHN and admiral like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

admiral likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What a co-inky dink.

Two days ago I rode "Burrito" (my '04 TW) up the East Fork of Eagle Creek which is just to the south side of the Eagle Cap Wilderness area where "Paint Your Wagon" was filmed in 1969. I was listening to Ozarks Mountain Daredevils' "Backroads".
    admiral and sp_cache like this.
    The greatest trick that Jay64 ever pulled was convincing the world he did exist.

Fun topic, thanks for starting it. Here is one of my all time favorite songs to ride by. One hit wonder, never really knew what it was about.

admiral, Bulldog44 and sp_cache like this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

When I'm in a reflective mood

sp_cache likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I get around 2-3 more mph when I play this.

Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Wow. So few postings. Does this signify most dubbers are riding around empty headed? I think not! Perhaps someone should start a thread about composing poetry while riding. And for the theroretical physicists working mathematical models of quantum mechanics. Cosmologists on string theory. These three additional topics should cover the remaining 99% of TW riders! Lol

All great tunes! I havn't been riding my T-dub on any long enough trips yet, mostly around my property and short trips to town. When I'm on my Beemer, I turn pandora on shuffle through my phone and LOTS of different stuff from Sinatra to Skynard, to Carl Perkins, Jack White, George Jones, Steve Earle. I guess with the T-dub at the moment I am too busy trying to,remember how to ride off road and stay off the trees!

I don't ride with music, but if I did, this would be one. Different, but I like it! Reminds me of a New Oreleans funeral march, or what I think one would sound like. Never actually seen one other than vid's.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links