Winter Doldrum Part 2
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disenfranchised got me thinking...why split wood, wrap Christmas presents, or change the oil on the truck, when I could be out conducting a second test of my modified camera mount (on my day off while the wife is at work)....so I did!

So, I performed a second test of a handle bar mounted camera on my motorcycle. Initially, I was using a camera that was too heavy for this mount and it bounced too much. Accidently, I changed to a smaller camera because of dead batteries, and discovered the smaller camera did better. This was a good test because my driveway is rough with many washboard bumps, and potholes. Another thing I noticed is at higher RPM's, the handlebar vibrates enough to cause the camera to (buzz), but performs ok at slower (trail speeds). I'm too cheap to buy a helmet mounted camera, so this will have to do for now.

And...before you (hopefully) watch the video- "Igofar- Keep posting pictures of your DOG! For us dog lovers out there", (Christopher Walken-SNL) "Guess what, I got a fever, and the only perscription is more [s]cowbell[/s], I mean Georgie!

Georgie gets a cameo shot towards the end of the video. And the basketball is hers. She loves chasing it all over the place.

AlaskaTdub, I tried my version of "Doogles", but Georgie ain't taken to the idea. Good thing we travel slow.

"Novaks44- Idaho has been on my "move to" states list for quite some time now. Now I'm even more tempted!" With the snow are you sure? giggle.

Oh, one more thing, turn down your volume, can't figure out the static interference on the sound. I'll put a piece of tape over the microphone next time.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hgV5AwPbK4[/media]

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Admiral, If that was just to the end of your driveway, you will need more than one horse to mow the vegetation in your front yard. Sure is lucky you don't have to shovel it by hand like some folks with short drives do. Maybe you have enough altitude and sunshine like we do in NM that you can just wait for the sun to burn through the snow. The video was great except for that one buzzy section at high revs on the paved road. Happy holidays to you and everyone. Tom
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

I like that idea.

We did Rainbow Basin yesterday. I haven't yet bought a camera, but I was thinking that I could get more scenery into a video with a bar mount. Helmet and chest mounts are subject to all the body positioning and road watching as you ride. I was afraid it would jiggle too much.

Is it some sort of shockproof mount?

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member dstock@alaska.net's Avatar
    Fun video, had to watch it all the way to the end to catch Georgie. Wish my drive were that dry. It is funny about the Doggles, Ms Kelsie knows that they are part of riding. When we get ready to go I'll put them on and she will wait patiently, never trying to take them off, as I get ready and then hoist her into her riding bag. She never tries to remove them, but when I turn off the bike and take her out of the bag and put her on the ground the Doggles come off.

This after a recent, unusual, mid-winter rain. Today the temps are in the -35 to -40 range.

Admiral, your new mount seems to work great. I was very surprized to learn it was attached to the handlebar (watched video first). My handlebar mount was a failure, but then I was using a 'large' video style camera. For a sound filter, I am using a piece of airfilter foam (Uni filter/green stuff) is seems to help with the wind noise. How far do the kids need to walk to get to the bus stop? I noticed a little structure on the right side of the road as you were heading home. Is that where the youngsters huddle awaiting the bus? Thanks, now I can be thankful for only haveing to deal with rain.... Gerry

Mr. Alaska, two questions. Was your picture of a "road" ? If so, does the department of roads and highways use high gloss asphalt, or is that ICE ? In any event, that surface did not look motorcycle friendly. Take care. Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

Senior Member dstock@alaska.net's Avatar
    Gerry, that is our driveway. We had a most un-seasonable rain just before Thanksgiving. Not much keeps Alaskan drivers off the roads but this certainly did. The only way I could stop my pickup on the drive was to drop the snow plow. The state did a great job of sanding the public roads but at first, everyone who could, including me, stayed home for the day.

Boy AlaskaTdub, put some sideboards and goals and you would have your own outdoor hockey rink.

Changing the subject, here is a little more on my camera mount (The Admiral XM-5000 Prototype) giggle. I'm trying to save myself some money, so instead of buying a specific video setup (helmet mount), I wanted to use one of my digital camera's, and hoped it would work. IMO, the helmet cam is one of the best, stable and smooth, but most come with the (wide angle view) and I don't much care for that. I then considered Busyweb and mrgizmow's chest pocket design, which for the most part I think is also stable and smooth for viewing pleasure. My problem with the digital camera when attempting to mount it like the helmet and chest mount, was that I couldn't figure out a way to turn the camera on and off....safely.

So, I turned to the internet and searched for "camera mounts", or something like that. I found some video examples of DIY mounts some folks were using, mounting a camera to the handlebar. Looked plausable.

Using the designs and material I saw online, I copied one and am in the process of trying it out.

Pluses for this type of mount for me: cheap and easy. I can operate the camera with minimal concerns for safety. Seems to work for me (for now until I upgrade). I am going to redue my damping material in an attempt reduce vibration buzz, especially when at a higher RPM, but in the end I found out the picture quality is ok at the speeds I will normally travel (i.e. trails, not pavement).

Drawbacks: as mrgizmow pointed out, if using a heavy camera, then the cameral bounces too much, so I am using an older smaller camera. Also, if the "riser" is to long, this will also make the camera shake to much. Initially I used a 6" riser thinking I need to clear the instrument cluster. Found out I didn't need it that high, and it shook too much. And gotta deal with microphone/sound issues. Of 4 camera's I tried using, only one mic worked well, but the camera was tooooo old and the picture quality was bad.

So, what I have is a compromise that I can use simple enough, and which the picture is ok.

A remote control would be awesome, but my camera won't work with one so I gotta deal with it. Oh, and "shock proof", not so much! I'll have to watch out for branches, large holes, and crashing!

Couple of notes: I mounted it on the crossbar because I think the crossbar would interfer with virtical if I mounted on the actual handlebar. Also the the bottom of the "T" is cut in half horizontal. Because the diameter of the crossbar is smaller than the PVC I used, I had to leave off the bottom portion of the PVC in order for the mount to be securely fastened. Too loose otherwise.

Here's a photo. Edit: 12 March 2011. I have moved the camera mount to the handle bar instead of using the crossbar. I also added some sleeping mat material between the pvc and handle bar, which as virtually eliminated the buzz in the camera I previously experienced.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Gotta hand it to those inventor types. Pretty clever. Gerry

Take care my Friend.........

Quite the interesting mount there. Seems to work fairly well though. What camera are you using for this? Santa is bringing me a new Sony DSC-HX5V digital camera which also does HD video and is image stabilized so I'm excited to try it on the bike when weather permits. (Though weather doesn't seem to be a problem for you there Admiral!). I'm also curious what speed you're running at. The video makes it look like about 90!

Here's some nightime motorcycle video shot by a HX5V, of course on smoother paved roads...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0tbUfxjryA[/media]

If you don't mind looking like a doofuss, , go get an old bike helmet, some contact cement, a small piece of plywood and a 1/4 x 20 screw and voila!

No, this is -NOT- me...!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links