Michigan Cycle Conservation Club Rites of Spring 2014
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By tinman tim

Thread: Michigan Cycle Conservation Club Rites of Spring 2014

Michigan Cycle Conservation Club Rites of Spring 2014

We did, as projected, head to Atlanta, Michigan last weekend for the annual CCC Rites of Spring. And it was, as can frequently be expected, rainy. Real rainy, rained all day. We went up Friday night arriving late because Shortstop had to attend the Michigan ORV safety course the next morning in order to get his sticker and earn the right to ride at 14. We got him situated in an exhibit barn early Saturday at the fairgrounds and then Weasel and I went riding. Deep rutted sand to get to the greasy single track and constant rain...still fun though. We got back by noon and picked up Shortstop so he could demonstrate his newly minted knowledge. He did rather well. In addition to the pictures I am going to embed two of Weasel's short videos. They are really poor quality, his go pro shifted and was covered with rain and sand. Watch the second one though, it is interesting. Weasel is following Shortstop through nasty rutted deep sand. Shortstop has never ridden deep sand before at all, and Weasel is an old pro...but Weasel has a stock front tire like me and Shortstop has a Maxxis. You will see the difference even for a complete novice. You won't see me hardly at all because with the stock front I have to blast hard and then wait up. Generally Weasel and I would ram through the sand at considerable speed to float that stock front tire, but here Weasel has to go slow to follow and film his brother and you can see him struggle with that front.

Attachment 6145Attachment 6146Attachment 6147Attachment 6148Attachment 6149
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Either Shortstop is a natural rider or Weasel and Uncle Borneo could benefit from better front tires.
    Both seem true, the little guy is really getting up on the learning curve quickly. Wet sand can be challenging for seasoned riders.
    Looks like a fun ride despite rain. We always like good pics of good times, thanks.

He is a decent rider Fred, but the front tire like you guys keep saying is really the issue. I rode the rainbow warrior with the Maxxis front and it just tracked right along at putt speed. Same terrain and I'd have to be blasting to keep from going down. Of course, I'm used to blasting, but still, Weasel and I have decided we definitely need to swap out those fronts. I liked the Maxxis alot, but have never ridden a TW with a Golden Boy or any other. I suppose I will have to peruse the many, many, front tire posts here to make a decision. It was conceded though, we ain't going back to Michigan with the stockers.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Borneo, I have really been enjoying your tales of getting Harm his own TW with the generous help of TinmanTim. It is one of the feel-good stories that are much appreciated by me and probably other readers. It makes a nice couterpoint to bad news we are all bombarded with.
    I imagine Shortstop is one happy proud new motorcyclist. Nice example of a modern right of passage into manhood.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-08-2014 at 07:15 PM.
    Dryden-Tdub likes this.

was just glad I could be a part of it. who doesn't like getting their first bike?
    littletommy and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Nice example of a modern right of passage into manhood.
    True. The world needs such things, as do boys.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Sponosred Links