Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ

Senior Member Purple People Eater's Avatar

Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ

I took a vacation this week to the Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ. This event is for the do-it-yourself adventure travel enthusiasts, with classes on 4-wheel-drive, adventure motorcycling, inspiration programs, Overland Film Festival, round table discussion, demonstrations and 180 vendors of adventure travel gears, bikes, vehicles and services.

I didn't get the chance to take a lot of pictures during the events but here are some the ride along Route 66. You may notice, it is not my purple bike but Mel's Rainbow Warrior which he was kind to loan to me for the trip while my engine is being overhauled.

Oro Grande, CA

Just past Amboy, CA

The only gas station in Truxton

Just loved the name of this restaurant in Seligman, AZ and ended up eating lunch here.

sp_cache, ZDR1, DonBenito and 9 others like this.
    "One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things" - Henry Miller

Hidden Content

Camping at Mormon Lakes...

This is the last day and a lot of people already left and the Land Rover company decided to park all of their vehicles around my tent which was a good thing...the wind was brutal on the last day and they provided the perfect wind blocker.

This camping stove is a must have...its small and compact! It boil the water in less than 2 minutes.

sp_cache, ZDR1, B-dub and 4 others like this.
    "One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things" - Henry Miller

Hidden Content

Glad you were able to go Gina. Looks like you had a great time. Mel is the best, isn't he?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Some of the awesome riders I met at the Overland Expo...

Lorraine Chittock (On a MISSION from DOG), me, Carla King (American Borders), Danell Lynn (Philanthropic Wanderlust), Amy and Sandy Kron Borden (Adventure Trio blog).

This dude is Andrew Pain, I got to present our TW bike along with his Yamaha SR250-T in class that he was presenting called "Perfect Overland Moto: Small cc". You need to check out his link...
    http://traveling250.com/motorcycle-travel-books-and-articles/.

(FYI, he is not sitting on his bike but another bike that belonged to a vendor)
    B-dub, tcepilot and admiral like this.

Hidden Content

That is one loaded down TW! Looked like it was an awesome event.

Purple,

After seeing you out there, my heart feels good today. Mel sure is good folk too!
    Thanks for sharing. Someday I gotta get down there somewhere and see that Route 66 stuff. So nostalgic!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sprague River, Oregon in Summer, Salome, AZ in Winter
    Looks similar to a Horizon's Unlimited gathering. Lots of fun. Wow! I thought I carried a lot of "essentials"......John

Is it sexist if I point out that you ladies do not travel light? My wife and friends just returned from a Las Vegas wedding and they seemed to average 5.5 pairs of shoes, 4 dresses,three handbags and two swimsuits apiece for a two day jaunt. Maybe this is why you ladies always look so good.
    The Jet Boil stove is really something, that as a crude guy I would pack along.
    Great pictures, Purple. The Overland Expo must have been a blast even if Flagstaff and the ride there cold

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Is it sexist if I point out that you ladies do not travel light? My wife and friends just returned from a Las Vegas wedding and they seemed to average 5.5 pairs of shoes, 4 dresses,three handbags and two swimsuits apiece for a two day jaunt. Maybe this is why you ladies always look so good.
    The Jet Boil stove is really something, that as a crude guy I would pack along.
    Great pictures, Purple. The Overland Expo must have been a blast even if Flagstaff and the ride there cold
    Yeah...yeah...it sure looked like a lot but when you don't have panniers then things start to pile up high....I really thought I was being a minimialist but it sure doesn't look like it. Here is a list of what I packed:

Tent
    Sleeping bag
    Sleeping pad
    Tool bag
    1 jean
    3 shirts
    1 pair of under armour
    5 socks
    5 underwear
    1 pair of rain suit
    1 winter riding pants (this is the most bulky clothing item I own)
    1 pair of winter gloves (can't you tell that I really hate being cold, it got down to the 20's at night in Mormon Lakes)
    2 liners for the motorcycle jacket
    1 pair of hiking boot
    1 pair of flip flop
    1 bag of toiletries
    1 bag of foods for a week
    1 Jet boil
    1 camera

That is it my friends and it sure looked like it was a lot!
    Fred and dette like this.

Hidden Content

Purple I must apologize for certainly I could not have trimmed that list any leaner. Necessary stuff just piles up.You should see my van packed for an equivalent trip,I should bite my tongue and hide in shame.
    Funny thing as a kid in 15 minutes I could pack a bag, jacket , a can of coke ( cooking pot, coffee cup, drinking glass), Ramen noodles, instant coffee and my fishing pole and I was good to go. I have become such a candy-a$$ lately that I may never overnight using new Cyclerack. Your adventure spirit leaves me in the dust.
    Purple People Eater and Mel like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links