Northern Michigan to Central Texas
Close

So I moved to Austin, TX about 4 months ago on my Suzuki Intruder 800. I had to leave my TW up in Traverse City, MI until I could find someone to sell it to or an excuse to go up there and get it. Well, my best friend is getting married this up coming summer so my plan is to take a train up there, do the wedding thing and ride the TW back down here. Now I need to figure out a route that crams as much trail as possible between Michigan and Texas. Nothing seems to jump out of google searches so I thought this might be the best source of help. I have plenty of time to figure it out so any tips will be entertained.

The liscense and registration on the T-Dubs has just expired so I need to figure that out. In Texas you can't just register and plate a vehicle; it must be inspected first, kind of hard todo when the bike is 1500miles away.

No racks on the bike. Just planning on mounting a milk crate to the back and bringing along my hiking/hydration pack. I have a tent, sleeping bag, coleman stove, small tool kit, head lamp, magnetic tank bag and will probably pick up some boots at an army surplus store in MI. What else might I need?

When I lived in Michigan I spent $16 on a ORV sticker. If I purchase one this summer will that be a pass for all the states I go through? I am not spending $80 on trail stickers.

Thanks for any interest.

I doubt you'll find many trails between Michigan and Texas. A number of years ago, however, I rode a bicycle from south Texas to Michigan (See my book, NORTH BY BIKE). I smaller. less traveled roads all of which were bicycle friendly. I camped most of the way and had little problem finding a suitable campground at the end of each day. I just bought a 2010 TW and I wouldn't hesitate to ride it from Michigan generally following the route I took on my bicycle. Good luck!

Sam the creator of the TAT has a trail mapped north to south in MS that may be fun. I did the TAT across MS and it was lots of fun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Does Texas offer "in transit" temporary registration?

If so you could start the paperwork and pay the fees with Texas and use the grace period and moving permit to be road legal for the ride.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by ShredSled88 View Post
    So I moved to Austin, TX about 4 months ago on my Suzuki Intruder 800. I had to leave my TW up in Traverse City, MI until I could find someone to sell it to or an excuse to go up there and get it. Well, my best friend is getting married this up coming summer so my plan is to take a train up there, do the wedding thing and ride the TW back down here. Now I need to figure out a route that crams as much trail as possible between Michigan and Texas. Nothing seems to jump out of google searches so I thought this might be the best source of help. I have plenty of time to figure it out so any tips will be entertained.

When I lived in Michigan I spent $16 on a ORV sticker. If I purchase one this summer will that be a pass for all the states I go through? I am not spending $80 on trail stickers.

Thanks for any interest.

I rode in Missouri, IL, Wisconsin, and the U.P of Michigan last summer, and had to purchase separate OHV stickers for each state (actually in southeast Missouri I went to a State owned OHV-only park and my admission fee was all I needed to ride in that one park). It is a source of revenue for the states, and the money is supposed to be used to maintain the trail systems. I don't believe there is any universal OHV sticker or reciprocity between the states, because of the revenue aspect of things.

Here is a site that allows you to search for OHV sites by state: http://www.riderplan...com/results.htm Hopefully it will have some things of interest along your route.

A source for info about long trail systems in Michigan is the Great Lakes Dual Sport Club : http://www.gldsmc.org/GLDSEXmi.html

Here is a link to a post on this forum last summer regarding trail riding around Wisconsin, including the T.W.A.T route: http://tw200forum.co...ch__1#entry1019 Northern Wisconsin is forested and has National and State forests, but much of the rest of Wisconsin is highly developed / privately owned farmground and dairy farms. The trail systems for OHV use are much more limited than their snowmobile trail system (the snowmobile trails allow travel between a lot of towns, but from what I saw are seasonal and closed to OHV use). Most of your riding will be on small blacktop roads (which are beautiful), and if you get a chance, ride through southwestern Wisconsin---it was not scoured flat by the ancient glaciers, and is very hilly and has beautiful limestone rock bluffs near the rivers. The T.W.A.T route might have a few ideas if you decide to go through the U.P and down into Wisconsin.

Illinois has very few OHV trails, and from what I have seen are mainly small acreages set aside for ATV/off highway use; freqently privately owned , and with a day-use admission fee. If they take state money from the OHV fund, then you will likely also have to pay for an IL OHV sticker (one time fee, good everywhere for one year) in addition to the day fees of every separate OHV park.

Except for the hilly and rugged areas adjoining SW Wisconsin, Illinois land (as well as Iowa) is pretty flat and highly developed / privately owned as farm land for corn and soybeans. In much of eastern Iowa the rural roads are gravel, wide enough for combines to travel on, and laid out in perfect square grids. Iowa and Illinois become more hilly along the river valleys and both states are pretty in there own right, but just not really set up for off-roading unless you know a land owner. You just don't have the large expanses of open ranges, BLM land, logging road systems, etc.... like you do in some parts of the country. Extreme southern IL is more like nearby southeast Missouri, with forested areas like the Shawnee National Forest. Some OHV parks are in that area, but also fee based. Here is a link to some of them, as well as in nearby southeast Missouri: http://www.yamahaofsi.com/pages/links/home.aspx

Missouri has much more forested land, with large National Forest systems (such as the Mark Twain National Forest), and there might be more options there for OHV riding. Even if you are confined to the small and twisty roads, the hilly Ozark Mountain terrain across southern Missouri is beautiful.

Hope this helps a little.

Corey
    two 2009 TWs, Ricochet skidplates, Moose Racing 'Expedition' rack (like a Borrega), DID 428V O-ring chains, DMoto2 -style black steel footpegs from eBay

Hey, don't know about OHV trails...but between where your TW is and central Texas is a whole lot of flat. Ok, mostly at the beginning and the end. The middle is pretty cool.

I'd suggest street tires and stick to the side roads. On a big bike I can average 50 mph staying on bigger roads. Way out west is higher. I can average 65+ hot fueling, speed limit can be 85 in some parts of Texas. Way back East would be lower. Way.way.lower.

Smaller bike, lower speed limits, lots more towns, you'll pbly average 30 mph if you're lucky. This includes, gas, food, pit stops, etc. Not including sleep.

However, fist thing you need to do is get your TW reregistered and licensed in Mi.

Then when that expires (or you get the bike here), you can register it in Texas. That'll gives you some breathing room.

If you google "ORV sticker" there are only a few states that call it that, or you need one, and some counties and ..,.it's verrrry confusxing. <G>

Texas... you only need a permit if you're going to ride in a few specific area. No needed on dirt roads as a rule.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/ohv/ride.phtml

Two of the best areas, Big Bend National Park and Big Bend State Park, stay on the dirt.

Anyway...If you can get MSFT Street and Trips, (or something similar) and plot your journey.

I'd head south toward Indianapolis, Louisville, Ky, then work my way southwest. Say toward Sikeston, Ms (that's where do the throwed rolls thing, if you like watching the Food Channel), and head through Arkansas, towards Texas. Crater of Diamonds State Park in Ar, is on the way, too... lots of cool stuff to see, just depends.

Once you're out of Ar, things flatten out mostly, but it's still pretty in places. I'd stay out of the big cities and just make a loop around, may be a couple more miles, but easier on the nervous system.

the middle of the country would be flatter, faster riding, but way windier, not as nice to ride.

Lots of interesting places, just depend on how much time you have.

I'd try to plan a route using US highways, when they don't follow the Interstates.

Then state roads, then county.... Texas is no problem, most of the State and FM roads are pretty good.

If I have time, I'll figure out a route and post it here (I like plotting routes. <BG>)

Easiest way is to draw a straight line between beginning and the end. Plot your ride along the straight line as much as possible.

Will be a fun ride as long as you're not in a hurry. It's around 1600 miles divided by 12 hour days (12 hours gives you camping and sleeping and laundry time) 30 mph x 12 = 360 miles a day. 16700 / 360 = 5 days. Minimum. That's doing nothing but riding.

Dang, sounds like Way fun!

Take care,

Mary aka Krashdragon

PS...wishing I had a TDub! but I'm stuck with just a Harley....which sucks on Texas baseball sized gravel roads....

Sounds like you have some time to plan your route . Take a few hours and look over the layin down tracks sctions of ADV Rider forum . I have enjoyed rideing cannontracks routes you can do all of them on a TW. He has a bunch starting in Michigan and he sees some sights along the way . You should find everything you need to get yourself back to texas with awsome roads and great pictures. Get a gps and have a bunch of fun . http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Ps If your stopping in Illinois PM Me we can meet up .

As far as route planning, you might want to post several requests on ADV Forum; Trip Planning - Americas and the Regional forums.

Good Luck-sounds like a fun trip.

You might want to consider county roads, backways, and scenic byways (if available enroute).

Note: If you are traveling off-road you may find it hard to do 200 miles in a day. There are times I can't even finish 100 miles in a day.

Consider how much time you have to travel back and then select roads that accommodate that rate of travel. 350 or miles per day on the TW is do-able but the bike is buzzy and day after day 300 plus miles will be tiring.

Mike
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

Sponosred Links